My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: ranchhopper on March 12, 2013, 11:07:25 AM

Title: Has anyone went with the pertronics ignition swap?
Post by: ranchhopper on March 12, 2013, 11:07:25 AM
I was thinking about installing a pertronics electronic ignition in my distributor and doing away with the points and condenser style ignition. I have used them in old chevy trucks and they seemed to work well I was wondering if anyone here has gone that route its a pretty easy conversion.
Title: Re: Has anyone went with the pertronics ignition s
Post by: garage gnome on March 12, 2013, 11:11:23 AM
I did it on my '53 and love it. I also got the coil from them too. The square grommet that comes on the wires is a PITA. I cut it off and used a small round one. You can't use the stock dust cap either.
Title: Re: Has anyone went with the pertronics ignition s
Post by: Dennisanvil on March 12, 2013, 11:47:04 AM
i put pertronics on my 48 and use the cap that came with the jeep. it work great.
dennisanvil
Title: Re: Has anyone went with the pertronics ignition s
Post by: ranchhopper on March 12, 2013, 12:48:00 PM
Thats what I like to hear I will end up doing the swap after getting the tub and frame cleaned up and painted.
Title: Re: Has anyone went with the pertronics ignition s
Post by: Dennisanvil on March 12, 2013, 12:56:08 PM
after rereading my post i was wrong you cant  use the dust cap. my bad .
dennis
Title: Re: Has anyone went with the pertronics ignition s
Post by: Kenny_Kustom on March 12, 2013, 01:58:17 PM
Anyone have a part number ?
Title: Re: Has anyone went with the pertronics ignition s
Post by: garage gnome on March 12, 2013, 03:28:52 PM
No, sorry, I don't have it. If you go on pertronix's web site, you can easily find it though.
Title: Re: Has anyone went with the pertronics ignition s
Post by: turkehunt on March 16, 2013, 09:06:23 AM
I swapped mine out on my 53   8-)   It worked out great / also got a "Flame Thrower " coil  !
   I got both from Quadratech        Hope this helps you out !


       "Keep Your Powder Dry"
Title: Re: Has anyone went with the pertronics ignition s
Post by: maximushuntermus on March 19, 2013, 01:02:39 PM
I too was just looking into this swap below is a note I recieved from them hope it helps.

Hi Jesse Cool... an old Jeep ... IAD4008 uses # 2541 $94.95 Matching coil 40511 $29.95 links below Both in stock can ship today.. http://pertronix.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/102203/2541 http://pertronix.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/116621/40511
Title: Re: Has anyone went with the pertronics ignition s
Post by: ranchhopper on March 19, 2013, 04:57:08 PM
Thanks for the link Im going to buy one this week.