My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: garage gnome on February 25, 2013, 10:02:53 PM

Title: Factory turn signal unit
Post by: garage gnome on February 25, 2013, 10:02:53 PM
Since Carl brought up turn signals, it reminded me to ask this question about factory turn signals. I got this junk early 3B that had a factory turn signal unit on it. I know it was factory because the wiring for it was cloth and was built right into the harness. I ended up using it on my '53 because it still worked and looks awesome. Anyways, would anyone know what brand it is? I have never seen anything remotely like it. There are no marking on it either. I can get a better picture tomorrow.

(http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/willyscjmj/9987ded6.jpg)
Title: Re: Factory turn signal unit
Post by: Bob W on February 27, 2013, 08:46:02 PM
That looks like a Guide 6002. Uncle Vin and I were just talking about these turn signal switches the other day. They appear in the 1949 Willys Approved Accessory brochure. Here's a photo of the Guide 6002 that Uncle Vin sent me.

(http://www.cj3a.info/reference/guide6002.JPG)
Title: Re: Factory turn signal unit
Post by: garage gnome on February 27, 2013, 09:15:08 PM
Yes, that would be it! Except mine was black with a chrome handle and a green light. I've never seen another on a Jeep. I really like the way they look with the curved handle versus a straight one like the new turn signal units for these.

Do you know how many times I took that damn thing apart to get it working? More than I can count on my hands...
Title: Re: Factory turn signal unit
Post by: Jesse on March 01, 2013, 07:15:17 PM
So that is a jeep part, interesting. I have one just like it and it did come from a 2a. Never wondered if it was factory until you said something

-Jesse