My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Macgraham on February 20, 2013, 08:42:16 AM

Title: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by step)
Post by: Macgraham on February 20, 2013, 08:42:16 AM
This link could be helpful to some who don't know about it yet. I rebuilt my D18 with this info. Photos make it alot easier for me. You can click on Previous or next and it shows more component rebuilds and installations.

http://thisoldjeep.fr.yuku.com/topic/248
Title: Re: A good source
Post by: p3ferris on February 20, 2013, 08:59:58 AM
Thanks I will pass it on to othere when they need it.    it is a nice rebuild guide
Title: Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
Post by: F Bill on February 20, 2013, 09:25:42 AM
I edited your title to make it easier to find in a search. Thanks for posting that.. I think Doug did equally as good a job as Rick Stiver did, and perhaps we need to ask his permission to host his pictures over here for posterity. If anyone is a member over there and wants to ask the author of that thread if we can host our own copy of his pics and writeup, please do.

This is the sort of post we need to fill up our FAQ section and make it the go to place on the web for jeep technical stuff.

Macgraham, I appreciate your taking the time to alert us to this fantastic nugget of info!
Title: Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on February 20, 2013, 06:04:25 PM
Doug lives just across town....I'll send him a link to this thread...he has a similar thread for the transmission..

You should see the slide hammer puller for pulling axles he made from ready-rod and a sledge hammer head....!

Randy
Title: Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
Post by: F Bill on February 20, 2013, 06:46:38 PM
Randy tell him we will throw in a free membership to the 3a page to sweeten the deal.. ;D I'm guessing he already is a member or former member from the old site.

Anyhow, I appreciate you getting hold of him. For a while there we were the only place on the web you could find Rick's tranny guide as Jonathan had actually copied it to the site instead of just linking as the other sites had done. We'd like to do the same with his excellent pictorial.
Title: Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
Post by: Doug_3B on February 20, 2013, 10:11:06 PM
A free membership to a flatty forum???? �SOLD!!! � ;D

I have been a member for a couple years, but this is only my second post apparently. �I try not to stink up the 3A Page forum with my 3B stuff �;)

I'm glad that my pics have helped some people out. �It was a lot of fun rebuilding both the T-90 and D-18. �It was also fun doing the write ups. �

Absolutely use my write up and/or pictures here on the 3A Page - just make sure people also follow Rick's guide. �I'm pretty sure I didn't include everything in my write up that Rick covers in his.
Title: Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
Post by: F Bill on February 20, 2013, 10:22:45 PM
Hi Doug!!  I just finished reading your 3B build write up.. That was also very well done. I think we are going to have to all chip in and buy you a 3A so you can do a similar writeup on it. How is your new rebuilt engine working out for you??

I am going to have to get one of our web gurus to figure out how to put your writeup
on a new webpage in our tech tip area. Right next to Ricks rebuild guide,with links from one to the other as you suggest.

Much thanks and kudos for a very well done article.  
Title: Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
Post by: Quebec Jeep on February 21, 2013, 10:52:12 AM
I can do something to have it on the site. Will be great.
Give me time.
Title: Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
Post by: F Bill on February 21, 2013, 11:08:54 AM
Thanks, Quebecjeep! �Whenever you get time.. We need to get it as a webpage using Doug H's content. And somehow provide a link right at the top to Rick's guide which we laready have, and do the same on the page where RIck's guide is. No rush, if you can get it done by noon that would be great. �;D ;D 8-) (I'm kidding, whenever you do it will be awesome..)

Doug, do you want us to acknowledge you as Doug H or do you want to use a last name and specific location ? (It's your chance to be as famous as Rick!!)

In case anyone doesn't know Rick passed away a while back and his rebuild guide is posted here with permission. I don't remember if Jonathan asked the family or if Rick gave him the rights to post it before he passed away but it was done properly .In fact all of the stuff on the 3A page that was originally located at other websites has been used with appropriate permission. I made sure of that before the buyout. . We always want to name our sources for stuff like this. We jeepers are blessed to live in an age where such information flows freely and is available to all who look for it. Just a few decades ago it would have taken a long time to find most of this info, if those in the know would take the time to share with you.

By the way... there are also some video guides to smaller tasks at the Walck's website. Carl and the boys have been busy filming new videos and if you haven't been there it is worth a visit. If you are a member of Youtube �you can leave comments and say thanks too.
Title: Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
Post by: F Bill on February 21, 2013, 11:09:55 AM
I almost forgot.. Doug, do you have a link to your tranny rebuild?
Title: Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
Post by: Quebec Jeep on February 21, 2013, 02:14:24 PM
Ok I did it very quickly.
I'm open to critics.



Title: Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
Post by: Doug_3B on February 21, 2013, 08:58:24 PM
F Bill - thank you for looking through my build thread. �I am in no hurry to take on another project! �I've had my jeep on the road since 2009 and kind of considered it "done" but almost always have some sort of project going on with it. �Plus, I was offered a 1969 Bronco for a price I couldn't resist, so now that is sitting here waiting for me �:) �I wouldn't rule out picking up another flat fender at some point down the line.

My rebuilt engine is purring along just fine so far; I'm really very happy with it. �I still only have a little over 100 miles on the rebuild. �

I didn't know about Rick, either. �What a shame - I can't begin to imagine how many people he's helped with his rebuild guides.

Here are the other links to the T-90 and D-18 write ups:

T-90 teardown: �http://thisoldjeep.fr.yuku.com/topic/210/T90-Disassembly#.USbOl46LE20
T-90 reassembly: �http://thisoldjeep.fr.yuku.com/topic/225/T90-Assembly#.USbOuo6LE20
D-18 teardown: �http://thisoldjeep.fr.yuku.com/topic/220/D18-Transfer-Case-Disassembly#.USbO846LE20
Title: Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
Post by: garage gnome on February 22, 2013, 05:57:29 AM
Hey Doug!!!
Title: Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
Post by: Doug_3B on February 22, 2013, 05:59:16 PM
Quote
Hey Doug!!!

What's happening Nate!!?
Title: Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
Post by: garage gnome on February 22, 2013, 06:11:40 PM
I'll PM you.
Title: Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
Post by: Macgraham on February 22, 2013, 08:53:52 PM
Does anyone know of any similar sources on the Dana 25 and the Dana 41? The photos sure made it good for me. Thanks, Doug
Title: Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
Post by: Doug_3B on February 24, 2013, 10:56:42 PM
Quote
Does anyone know of any similar sources on the Dana 25 and the Dana 41? The photos sure made it good for me. Thanks, Doug

I'm glad it helped.  

I have the knuckle rebuild portion of the D-25 documented in my build thread, but its not as good as the T-90 or D-18 write ups:  http://thisoldjeep.fr.yuku.com/topic/898/Dougs-63-CJ3B-Build-Thread?page=5#.USrf2I6LE20

I literally just finished up a write up on the D-44 (I don't know how similar the 41 and 44 are), but again, it's only the ends, I didn't tear into the differential.  http://thisoldjeep.fr.yuku.com/topic/1608/D44-Rear-axle-bearingshaft-removalreplacement#.USrgfI6LE20
Title: Re: A good source (Transfer case rebuild step by s
Post by: athawk11 on February 25, 2013, 01:20:01 PM
That's a great thread Doug.  Well done.

This D18 tutorial is also terrific.  He did a really nice job of making it elementary.  Great FAQ topic.

Tim