My Willys 3A and 3B Community
3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: BMIC on February 18, 2013, 02:08:26 PM
-
Between the coil and ignition switch in my wire diagram is a resistor. Do not remember seeing on on the tear down. Can anyone help me with size and type? � � � � � �(http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m606/bmic/WillysWiring3_zpsd8f4cb68.jpg)
-
Check your coil, see if it is marked "for use with resistor" or "no resistor required".....
ALso take a close look at the wire in question and make sure somen hasn't wired in a fusible link or resistor wire.. Fusible links are normallyh marked as such, and the wire in a resistor wire is usually silver colored.
-
If your coil requires a ballast resistor just type "chrysler ballast resistor" into your favorite search engine and you will have plenty of info.
-
Thanks Bill/Bob W, my coil does not require a resistor. Bill no fusable link in the wire as I am wiring a temporary dash for a engine test (and hopfully a short run) on the chassis.
-
Nice wiring diagram. Did you do it or did it come with a wiring harness?
I'm thinking you did it.
If so, nice job.
-
Thanks John, I would love to take credit for it but I dug it up on the 2A page somewhere. Between the two pages you can find anything if you dig deep enough. I might add the Vernco site, great piece on polorizing the system.
-
It looks to me like there is a couple things going on here, the battery is 12v so this is a conversion wiring diagram, distributor is 6volts, coil 12 volts in the diagram. A 12 volt coil actually runs on 8 volts, so you do have to drop your battery voltage down or it will overheat the coil and burn it out. Like mine did. I would go to NAPA and ask for a 12 volt coil with a built in resistor, this will eliminate the resistor in your diagram and make your coil and distributor safe at the higher voltage.
Your other option is to go with a 6 volt battery, then you can drop the resistor from the wiring completely, you will have to make sure you have a 6 volt coil if you do that.
Good luck and keep jeepin
Gun
-
On my 2A with 12v conversion, I did exactly what Gun suggested. Bought a coil from NAPA, part no. IC14. Has the internal resistor. $26.00 and change. Came with a new bracket and other hardware. Works great.
Tim