My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: athawk11 on February 20, 2013, 06:05:33 PM

Title: Grade 8 Bolts
Post by: athawk11 on February 20, 2013, 06:05:33 PM
I sheared off a bolt at the exhaust pipe to manifold position.  I was able to drill it out and re-tap it.

40 years from now when the next owner is trying to replace the exhaust, am I doing him a favor by using Grade 8 bolts and nuts???

Tim
Title: Re: Grade 8 Bolts
Post by: garage gnome on February 20, 2013, 06:12:55 PM
Rust is rust. It will still stick. Best thing is stainless or brass.
Title: Re: Grade 8 Bolts
Post by: athawk11 on February 20, 2013, 06:34:26 PM
Yeah, I figured that.  But with a stronger bolt, will he have a better chance of it staying in one piece till he gets it free?
Title: Re: Grade 8 Bolts
Post by: F Bill on February 20, 2013, 06:40:25 PM
Just took apart my 10 year old Ford, with plated steel nuts on hardened studs. Had to heat things up with the torch to get it apart after 370,000 miles. I rethreaded and installed new nuts, had the bolts been new as well instead of slightly worn originals I might have used some never seez. �The new nuts were a loose fit so I didn't do it.

Pretty much anything used in that application will eventually rust up and seize up. If it is a nut and bolt it is no big deal to break or torch it off, but a stud is a different matter. Use brass nuts like Nate said on the stud if you can..I would prefer a stud with a brass nut over a bolt threaded in tight, as chances are that bolt WILL break upon removal like yours.
Title: Re: Grade 8 Bolts
Post by: p3ferris on February 20, 2013, 10:20:02 PM
Actually I was pretty fortunate with my  2A , every bolt, I mean every bolt  that I took out, came out without any problem.  It had not been touched since 53.
Title: Re: Grade 8 Bolts
Post by: Gunslinger on February 22, 2013, 01:22:13 PM


40 years from now when the next owner is trying to replace the exhaust, am I doing him a favor by using Grade 8 bolts and nuts???

Tim[/quote]

Are you worried you might know him?
Title: Re: Grade 8 Bolts
Post by: BMIC on February 22, 2013, 02:47:51 PM
Very good Guns.... Your a bit sharper today.
Title: Re: Grade 8 Bolts
Post by: athawk11 on February 22, 2013, 11:08:57 PM
Quote



Are you worried you might know him?


Very funny Gun!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D