My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: malcomstrenko on January 16, 2013, 05:56:02 PM

Title: crossmember reinforce piece
Post by: malcomstrenko on January 16, 2013, 05:56:02 PM
(http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa390/malcomstrenko/16jan13002.jpg)
Walck has piece to reinforce inside of crossmember. Description says it's for PTO equipped.
I will reinstall the PTO I got with this Jeep. I don't expect to do a lot of hay baling, but I'd like
to stay "correct". Shall I call Carl?
Title: Re: crossmember reinforce piece
Post by: athawk11 on January 16, 2013, 07:06:57 PM
Malcom,
I'll tell ya, I'm not sure what part you're talking about.  I might if my Willys had a rear PTO.  If you have a PTO and there is a piece that reinforces the cross member, then by all means you should have it.  It may affect spacing and even proper performance.

Tim
Title: Re: crossmember reinforce piece
Post by: F Bill on January 16, 2013, 07:14:35 PM
I think Classic sells it as well, If you are actually going to use the PTO it will help take some load off the rear crossmember for ya. Kind of a pain to install it. It is a tight fit.
Title: Re: crossmember reinforce piece
Post by: garage gnome on January 16, 2013, 08:36:09 PM
I didn't put it in. I don't see what it does besides trapping rust/moisture between the two pieces. Like Bill said, I might be helpful if you are actually going to do work with a PTO.
Title: Re: crossmember reinforce piece
Post by: duffer on January 17, 2013, 10:16:17 AM
As Nate said, that piece is only exceeded by the tub hat sections for rust-out potential.  If you don't need it for the PTO or some other loading on the rear cross member like a swing out tire carrier, I would leave it out.  It was not a good solution.
Title: Re: crossmember reinforce piece
Post by: malcomstrenko on January 17, 2013, 08:04:55 PM
Gnome and Duffer, thx for the comments. Thinking I'll spend the $80+- on other stuff