My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: BMIC on January 03, 2013, 06:05:59 AM

Title: Brake Line
Post by: BMIC on January 03, 2013, 06:05:59 AM
Does anyone have the total length measurement of the brake line that runs from the MC to the rear flexable line connection?
Title: Re: Brake Line
Post by: bretto on January 03, 2013, 01:18:44 PM
No, but an easy way to determine it, is to take some string and map it's route then measure the string.  That's what I did when I made my lines up.  I just bought a 25' roll of brake line tubing and made all my lines from it.
Title: Re: Brake Line
Post by: BMIC on January 03, 2013, 02:06:31 PM
Thanks Brett.... String?   You ever get the feeling that life does not have to be that complicated.
Title: Re: Brake Line
Post by: 49willyz on January 03, 2013, 03:51:12 PM
I too sometimes over think things and miss the proverbial elephant in the room. String is an excellent way to measure things that bend and twist over a distance.
Title: Re: Brake Line
Post by: athawk11 on January 04, 2013, 06:05:42 PM
I would add that if you want to make a carbon copy of the tubing, including the bends, use a single strand of a stiff wire from Romex or similar. �Bend it to the shape of the existing. �Long runs can be held in position with some tape until you reach the other end.

Tim
Title: Re: Brake Line
Post by: calvinhunt on January 04, 2013, 11:10:33 PM
It's fun to see great minds and work.  It's posts such as this that cause me to open up the CJ-3A Page often just to relax and wind down after a stressful day.  Thanks.
Title: Re: Brake Line
Post by: jamesr on January 05, 2013, 06:41:12 PM
I used a roll of solder.
Title: Re: Brake Line
Post by: BMIC on January 05, 2013, 08:25:39 PM
Did the brake line today and it came out very well. Tim, Brett, and Jamessr your all correct, wire (or solder) gives you all the correct bends and string gives you the exact length. Easy job and a lot less money then the preformed lines.

Engine goes in  the weekend of 01/19, gentlemen I counting on you for a preinstallation punch list.
Title: Re: Brake Line
Post by: F Bill on January 05, 2013, 08:38:16 PM
1.THROTTLE LINKAGE!!!!!! (make sure it is upside right too...)

2: Brakes all done, including master cylinder. It is soooo much easier without an engine.

3: Clutch parts all renewed, lubricated, installed correctly. Including a new pilot bushing. Clutch fork installed and cable adjusters freed up?

4: NEW Starter bushing if so equipped.

5: Get that battery on a charger and make sure it is up to snuff

6: Detail and prep/paint the firewall/inner fenders if you want to now.

7: Is radiator also in good shape?

8:Is fuel tank clean and fuel fresh?

9: Correct shouldered bolts for bellhousing?

I can see a FAQ post coming out of this.

That is a start....I'm sure someone else will kick in more...
Title: Re: Brake Line
Post by: macrisel on January 08, 2013, 10:39:03 AM
A few things I would add:

1.  Make sure your battery cables are in good shape and of the correct gauge.
2.  Don't forget the engine ground strap and make sure it has a good connection.
3.  Use new engine and transmission mounts.
4.  Top off the steering knuckles now.  It is easier to do with the engine out of the way.
5.  Check/rebuild your steering components while the engine is out.
6.  Make sure you have plenty of patience when you get your motor in and realize you forgot the throttle linkage.. ;)