My Willys 3A and 3B Community
3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: malcomstrenko on January 01, 2013, 11:58:43 AM
-
good morning � � � � � � torched out crossmember to get at pto flange. � crossmember wasn't too spiffy anyway and they aren't horribly pricey. �how do the rivets get fastened? never thought of that � � � � � � trying to post pic
� � thx
-
I read some where that you need a 4x rivet gun and associated riveting tools i.e. bucking bar and rivet set in order to set the rivets in the front bumper. I was looking at that as well as I plan on replacing my rear cross member. If you figure it out pleas post how you did it. Good Luck!
Steve
-
If you are going to re rivet you will need to hot rivet, with the aformentioned riveting tools. If you want to use button head allen bolts you can use a wrench and socket, tighten them, and fill in the allen wrench hole with weld after they are tight. Or if you really don't care about originality grade eight bolts will do just fine.
-
hello re: rivets, hot rivets seem pretty tricky,perilous and unforgiving. my regard for authenticity is relative to the effort, expense and potential peril. i just looked at images of "plow bolts". i'd thought of them when i saw them at fastener outlet near here [syracuse ny]. they are truly a flat head, i suppose i could weld them in from behind may go that way? grade 8? hmmm i see that bolts in this area are fine thread thx
-
I think you will find that carriage bolts are a grade 3. I wouldn't consider anything less than grade 5 for the frame.