My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Pats4WD on December 29, 2012, 08:52:20 PM

Title: Clutch question
Post by: Pats4WD on December 29, 2012, 08:52:20 PM
I have the clutch out and was wondering if it needs replaced.  There is between 1/16 and 1/8 inch of pad left above the rivets.  I don't know how much a new clutch has.
Title: Re: Clutch question
Post by: athawk11 on December 29, 2012, 10:07:02 PM
Hi Pat.

I was in your same position.

I don't remember what my new clutch had on it when I put it in, but I just looked at the old one. �There is about 1/16" to the top of the rivets.

When in doubt, replace the disc. �Unless you have an M38 with the removable floor, this is not an easy area to get to once the Willys is road worthy. �You would have to pull the engine, or the tranny and transfer.

I'm not trying to spend your money for you, but it's right there in your hands right now....start fresh with this part.

Tim
Title: Re: Clutch question
Post by: p3ferris on December 29, 2012, 10:25:02 PM
X2 �but keep the old one for future just in case.


I forgot to mention this is what I did  for the time and price it was well worth it to me
Title: Re: Clutch question
Post by: Pats4WD on December 29, 2012, 10:31:36 PM
Thanks, I will probably change it. i would hate to have to tear it back apart later.
Title: Re: Clutch question
Post by: Carls_jeep on December 29, 2012, 10:56:59 PM
You could probably re-use the clutch disc but the thing to look for is, are the center springs tight. If they are loose and rattle then by all means replace the clutch disc and throw the old one away.