My Willys 3A and 3B Community
3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Quebec Jeep on September 21, 2012, 10:29:13 AM
-
Hi, My jeep is white right now. CJ-3A 1950 serial # 56908 made at the end of august 1950 based on my calculation.
I know that it was repaint at least two times before. I took some pictures with my cell phone inside the firewall.
I can see three colors. White, Green and blue. Not sure if green come before blue.
The frame is black but when I removed the front bumper, the color underneath was green.
There was not color underneath the green on the frame.
The tub look very original.
My guess is the frame was completely redone in green the first time and then black later.
The front bumper was removed at the green time but not for the black. Bumper was riveted.
I assume that all frame for all jeep was always black from the assembly line.
Based on production information, color for this period was:
May 1, 1950 Luzon Red Emerald Green Potomac Grey
June 1, 1950
July 1, 1950
August 1, 1950 Luzon Red Potomac Grey Midnight cloud Metallic (very dark gray)
September 1, 1950 Luzon Red Emerald Green
October 1, 1950 Emerald Green Potomac Grey
November 1, 1950 Luzon Red Potomac Grey
December 1, 1950 Luzon Red Emerald Green Harvest Tan
So can you tell me your opinion of the original color of my jeep?
-
Can't add picture...
I got this message in top of the preview box:
"This attachment causes the attachments directory to exceed it's maximum capacity by approximately 117 kilobytes and cannot be uploaded."
The picture size is 132kb so less then the 600kb allowed.
-
Might want to try a photo hosting site, it is easier that way.. but I doublechecked the forum settings and yes, 600kb is the limit at the moment.
Frame should be factory black. It sounds like someone has done a very thourough job painting the jeep at one time, so maybe they did sandblast off factory paint before refinishing at some poiint. If I was attempting to discern the color on your jeep I would first look at places like the back sides of the tub gussets in front of the firewall, and then the bottom of the transmission tunnel, preferably somewhere covered with grease....Look for a place that normally would not have been repainted due to poor access or normally being covered in hard to remove oil or grease..
You say your bumper is riveted, are you referring to the FRONT bumper or rear crossmember?? Rivets up front don't sound right.
And then you also have the possibility of a special color being applied at the dealer to sell the jeep to someone who needed it a certain color. I do not know if the factory ever did this as early as 1950 or not.. Bob W might be the one to ask about that if it seems like a non factory paint color was the first color applied.
-
check under the fire wall tag they usually do not remove that when painting