My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: F Bill on July 20, 2012, 06:29:54 PM

Title: Steering Lubrication
Post by: F Bill on July 20, 2012, 06:29:54 PM
Gunslinger's post from the old forum

 Gents,
I've got a bad squeak and some friction in my steering when I turn Right.  It sounds like its coming from the top of the steering column right below the wheel,  Any good ideas how to lube it?  If I remember right there is a bearing at the top of the column, but I don't remember if I replaced it
Title: Re: Steering Lubrication
Post by: calvinhunt on July 21, 2012, 01:04:29 AM
Hey Gun,
  When I rebuilt my Jeep a few years ago I installed a new repro upper steering column bearing.  I didn't like the way it felt.  Didn't squeak, but it did rattle and was loose/sloppy.  I removed the steering wheel.  I removed the NEW repro bearing.  I dug out my old original bearing, cleaned it up and lubed it well.  After installing it I was a lot happier.  If you installed one of the worthless repro bearings you may want to do the same.