My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Gunslinger on July 04, 2012, 12:52:16 PM

Title: Speedometer Woes
Post by: Gunslinger on July 04, 2012, 12:52:16 PM
I had an original Speedo in Triple X, the cable went bad, caused the speedo to jump around and eventually broke the needle.

I bought a new repro unit, it worked well for the first season, now since this winter its been funny.  When I start out driving it will be at zero mph, as I drive it continues to climb the gage even when I am at constant speed, eventually it will come all the way around to the bottom of the gauge.  When I stop it will slowly climb down the gauge and rest someplace between zero and 10.  If I loosen the cable the speedo drops to zero right away.  I did replace the cable with a new one, no joy.  I'm baffled.  I also re ran the cable so it penetrates the fire wall directly behind the speedo, so no kinks or anything.

I did find someone locally that can rebuild the speedo, but they want $165.00 to open it up and the cost goes up from there, I also don't want to keep buying repro speedos.  Anybody have any suggestions?  I'd like to put the original back in, but I don't know how to replace the needle.

In a funk.  This is not a big problem as I'll never get a speeding ticket and the odometer works just fine. One other thought, there is no oiler on the repro like there is on the original.  I have tried to oil through the cable connection but it did no good.  
The repro is fine as well if I can get it to start working right.
Title: Re: Speedometer Woes
Post by: Carls_jeep on July 04, 2012, 03:11:20 PM
I saw your thread on CJ2 and I have been thinking about that. I think the cup with the needle on it needs lubing. The cable is probably ok and the spinning magnet is probably ok but the bushing inside that the cup runs in is dry.

You can pry the front cover off and get into the speedo and lube it but use a sewing machine oil or gun oil that doesn't have additives in it. Most oils will leave a gummy residue and that may be what they lubed it with.
Title: Re: Speedometer Woes
Post by: rocketeer on July 04, 2012, 05:17:35 PM
There is a lube hole on the rear of the speedo that should have a couple of drops of light oil every year. DO NOT overlube it. It's easiest to remove the speedo from the dash to do it right.

(http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab191/rocketeer_2010/Jeep/speedo_lube.jpg)

Larry
Title: Re: Speedometer Woes
Post by: Gunslinger on July 05, 2012, 10:45:22 AM
Hey Larry,
You are correct, the original has the lube hole, however the repop does not.  Do you have any advice on how to remove/replace the needle?  If I could do that I could take the needle out of the repop and put it onthe original and be good to go...
Title: Re: Speedometer Woes
Post by: rocketeer on July 05, 2012, 11:04:17 AM
The repro has no provision to lube it? That's nuts. No way they'll hold up with usage. Where did you get it?

Larry
Title: Re: Speedometer Woes
Post by: Gunslinger on July 05, 2012, 10:29:33 PM
Hey guys,
This is nuts, but I got it working, all I did was loosen the cable nut on the speedo end about 1/8 turn, and walla, it works just fine.  A couple guys on the 2A mentioned they had the same problem and had to grind down the inside cable a little bit and it worked, so now that I know the problem I'll do that this weekend and it should be good.  Thanks for all the help.  

Larry, the repo most likely came from Kaiser, I buy my parts from them and Walcks, but here is a kicker, I went to Midwest Military today to and picked up a junk speedo from John just to practice with, so this is a military speedo, not an Auto lite, it does not have a lube spot either.  Must be the Military figured out it needed one and the later units got it.  Just guessing
Todd
Title: Re: Speedometer Woes
Post by: Bob W on July 06, 2012, 06:01:32 AM
Quote
..... I went to Midwest Military today to and picked up a junk speedo from John just to practice with, so this is a military speedo, not an Auto lite, it does not have a lube spot either.

The "M series" military stuff would be waterproof so perhaps that is why there is no lube hole.
Title: Re: Speedometer Woes
Post by: rocketeer on July 06, 2012, 06:37:58 AM
Quote
Quote
..... I went to Midwest Military today to and picked up a junk speedo from John just to practice with, so this is a military speedo, not an Auto lite, it does not have a lube spot either.

The "M series" military stuff would be waterproof so perhaps that is why there is no lube hole.
Yep, they weren't concerned about longevity. If it went bad they just replaced it or left it as is. All civvys have a lube hole.

Larry
Title: Re: Speedometer Woes
Post by: macrisel on July 06, 2012, 12:57:46 PM
I was getting ready to order a new repro speedometer from Walcks.  Does anyone know it theirs have the lube hole?
Title: Re: Speedometer Woes
Post by: rocketeer on July 06, 2012, 03:21:18 PM
Give them a call, Carl or Daniel will know.

Larry