My Willys 3A and 3B Community
3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Ryan_M on May 25, 2012, 08:28:53 PM
-
I've used a combination of original and new hardware when reassembling the drivetrain etc without a tremendous effort on appearance. Most of it is painted some form of black and is out of sight anyways. Now that I'm getting to the point of reassembling the body and interior components the hardware will be a lot more noticeable. I'm curious what others have done. For example, the nuts, bolts and washers from the front clip are pretty rusty. It's going to take some effort to get them cleaned up. Would it be better to just go with all new hardware? Either way, should they be painted? I sent the tub/fenders/grill out for paint but none of the fastening hardware. I'm afraid if I just rattle can the hardware or use plain stainless steel it'll look funny because the colors won't match. Suggestions?
-
Hey Ryan,
Keep in mind, that it would be incredible to find a 60+ year old Jeep that has every original piece...and still in working order. �I would bet, that even the most original Jeep out there doesn't have...say...the original fuel pump, the original clutch, the original _______ fill in the blank.
Even a Willys guy that get's nothing but "original NOS parts" must agree that yes, they are original...but not original to his Jeep.
That said, �after a good cleaning, I reused all the bolts and nuts that hold the drive train together �I did replace the split washers where ever they were used..
For strength and piece of mind, �I used all new hardware to hold the drive train to the frame. � The majority of the hardware that secures all the sheet metal and accessories was rusted and much of it broke when I removed it. �It is all new. �I used all grade 5 hardware...zinc. �I left it unpainted. �I felt the unpainted bolt heads gave it a clean crisp look.
I did not throw the old bolts away. �I kept it all. �My wife thinks I'm crazy to hold on to a bunch of old rusty stuff.
Tim
(http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa397/athawk11/20120309009.jpg) � � � �
-
Tim - Thanks for the pic. That does look pretty sharp. I bought a bag of misc zinc hardware yesterday and think I will go that route too.
-
Ryan_M,
�I have to agree with athawk11 about the "clean crisp look" of the new unpainted bolt heads. �Even on your "Army" Jeeps I like to looks of the unpainted hardware. �However, we all know that back when similar Jeeps were assembled for use as combat vehicles everything was painted OD to prevent drawing attention to them. (So why were there large reflectors on the rear quarter panels?)
�After the war, even the CJs were produced with most of the hardware painted the color of the vehicle. �However, again for the clean crisp look I used new cadmium plated hardware during assembly. �I had completely assembled my Jeep prior to paint. �Then disassembled it, painted all the individual components, and reassembled it with all new hardware.
(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/mirrormount002.jpg)
(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/JeepWinter001.jpg)
Even the horn was reassembled after paint with new hardware.
(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/April2009004.jpg)
The completed Jeep even has unpainted carriage bolts in the front bumper, stainless steel hood latches, and a chrome gas cap. I was afraid it might be a "bit much" and was thinking I might revert back with some of it, but I have kept it. Notice that on the wheels that are painted neutral metalic I have painted the lug nuts black, just for contrast.
(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/15Finished-1.jpg)
-
Two of the best looking jeeps on the forum. If unpainted hardware works for them, it certainly works for my old battle wagon.
-
Hye Ryan, you got that right, those are two sharp buggies, when I did mine I did pretty much the same thing. But up here in Minnesota we get a lot of salt on the roads and I like to drive mine in the winter as well. So I went with all Stainless hardware on most of the exposed body parts and some of the structural, like the body to the frame and the MC to the frame. I like the look and when used with Nylock nuts they are pretty easy to get back off if you need to.
Todd
-
I appreciate the kind comments, but in a beauty contest mine doesn't stand up to Calvin's. �Maybe it's the strong yellow, black, and silver contrast, but that is one beautiful yellow Willys. �
If I ever get to do another, I may be calling for your paint code. �That thing just POPS!! :o
Ryan, if you are at assembly, give us a sneak peak!
Tim
-
My tub is not back yet should be very soon. I've been trying to get everything else prepped so once I do have it I'll be ready to rock and roll. And don't worry, I'll go picture posting crazy when the time comes.
-
athawk11,
� � I appreciate yours, Ryan_M's, and Gunslinger's kind words regarding my yellow 3A. �As you each know, it was a lot of work and a lot of fun to build. �Now it's a lot of fun to drive. �I think you've seen my previous posts where I said if I had it to do over again I would make an M38 so I could have the spare tire on the back where it should be and dress it in semi-gloss OD so I could hide/touch up the scratches of 4-wheeling. �Now, you indicate that if you did another you'd be asking for paint code. �A unique twist. �I guess if I were rich like those that have a summer home and a winter home I would have two Jeeps, a 4-wheeling one and a parade one.
� � Yes, Ryan_M do keep us posted, including pics, of your assembly. �Fun to watch. �
� � These "Flatties" are a fun little machine to own, rebuild, and drive. �They are truly an American icon. �
-
Maybe it's the old "The grass is always greener...".
Perhaps that's why some of us turn into collectors. If I had the money, time, space...
...maybe someday.
Happy Memorial Day to all.
-
[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ETrr-XHBjE][/url]
Have a safe and fun Memorial day, lets remember why we celebrate.
Todd