My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Macgraham on April 05, 2012, 05:14:48 PM

Title: T90 build.
Post by: Macgraham on April 05, 2012, 05:14:48 PM
Was hoping to finish my T90 assembly today but ran into a problem right away. Installed the cluster gear(new) and it was so tight I could bearly turn it by hand. I sanded on the spacer with the tab till I was played out and maybe gained 1 th. it turns easier but definitly has no endplay at all. Seems like it would run awfully hot like this. Any suggestions guys?
Title: Re: T90 build.
Post by: Carls_jeep on April 05, 2012, 09:01:14 PM
I will look up the clearance for you but it does have to turn free. Something is wrong because the stock parts should fit up correctly.
Title: Re: T90 build.
Post by: calvinhunt on April 05, 2012, 10:40:56 PM
The questions is, when you know the proper end play how do you obtain that clearance?  

Title: Re: T90 build.
Post by: Carls_jeep on April 06, 2012, 12:32:13 AM
With a feeler gauge. I looked in the Willys Mechanics Manual page I-177 and it says, the end play should be .012" to .018". There are two different thicknesses thrust washers and they are .0555" and .0625". You will have to mic the washer you have and that is the rear thrust washer. There is a difference between the front and rear thrust washer.

Do you have a manual? If not buy one. It is the most valuable thing besides your Jeep. In fact buy a parts breakdown manual as well.
Title: Re: T90 build.
Post by: Macgraham on April 06, 2012, 09:14:49 AM
I have a manual and have the info about the thrust thicknesses but I have been unable to find a supplier who has the thinner thrust. Was told they just have the 0625 thrust avaliable and I should sand down the steel spacer on the front of the cluster gear to improve the clearance. Any ideas on who may have the thinner thrust? Ron at G503 doesn't have it.
Title: Re: T90 build.
Post by: Carls_jeep on April 06, 2012, 03:57:28 PM
Calvin and I had a long talk about this and other things this morning. He may have called by now so I won't elaborate on what we said because it would turn into a book on a forum.
Title: Re: T90 build.
Post by: Macgraham on April 06, 2012, 09:44:13 PM
Well, I think I got it now. I have .012" clearance with a feeler guage between the cluster gear and the thrust washer. The gear spins easily. The only sad part is I have to take it apart now to check the end play in the main shaft and then install the permanent bearing before final assembly. Thanks Calvin and Carl
Title: Re: T90 build.
Post by: Uncle_Vin on April 07, 2012, 07:51:41 PM
What was the solution?
Title: Re: T90 build.
Post by: Macgraham on April 07, 2012, 10:31:54 PM
The solution was to shave about .010' from the steel spacer on the small end of the cluster gear. .012"is pretty tight but it is within specs of .12" to .018'. Transfer case goes on Monday. Hope it works!!
Title: Re: T90 build.
Post by: Carls_jeep on April 07, 2012, 11:40:36 PM
You are aware of setting the end play on the main shaft aren't you? It has been discussed here and before you put the transfer case on call Calvin and ask him about it.

You have to hone out the old rear output shaft so it slides on the shaft and then clamp the assembly in the rear of the case and use a dial indicator to check the end clearance. Actually the clearance is the distance between the input and output shafts.
Title: Re: T90 build.
Post by: calvinhunt on April 07, 2012, 11:57:50 PM
Yes, I learned the hard way about that. �FYI Carl, Mac has already called. �He has an old rear bearing that's honed out and is all set up to assure the proper end clearance of the output (main) shaft prior to final assembly. �I think Mac is ready to move forward. �Good Luck Mac!! �And let us know how it goes.
Title: Re: T90 build.
Post by: calvinhunt on April 08, 2012, 12:05:28 AM
Quote
What was the solution?

Hey Uncle_Vin, It's been a long time.  It's good to hear from you again.  

Your question makes me wonder if you're in the middle of a transmission as well?  What's going on in your Jeep World?  An update would be great.
Title: Re: T90 build.
Post by: Uncle_Vin on April 08, 2012, 08:18:00 AM
Quote
Quote
What was the solution?

Hey Uncle_Vin, It's been a long time. �It's good to hear from you again. �

Your question makes me wonder if you're in the middle of a transmission as well? �What's going on in your Jeep World? �An update would be great.

Hey Calvin. I've been around. I lurk here at least two times per week. I still have more jeeps than I should.  (63' CJ-5; 62' P/U; and three 3As (including the umolested one that I scored off eBay a few years ago)). I figured that I should stop contemplating and just pull the trigger on a restoration.  My Cj-5 is my lone driver.  I think I'll start off with it. The tranny jumps out of gear in second (common problem) and the floors are wasted, so I have to take the tub off anyhow.  Thanks for giving me a shout out. I love to read your posts.
Title: Re: T90 build.
Post by: Uncle_Vin on April 08, 2012, 08:21:31 AM
I know all about Rick Stivers' rebuild guide. But I had noticed that he also made a video. I tried contacting him for a copy of the video and was informed that he passed away. I would love to have the video.  Sorry for the thread hijack.  My bad.