My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: BMIC on March 28, 2012, 07:28:05 PM

Title: Oil Hole? Cover?
Post by: BMIC on March 28, 2012, 07:28:05 PM
Just finished painting the steering column and steering box and ready to put the two back together. Simple enough question, does the clamp bolt go on top or turn the clamp down. Refered to page 215 of the service manual and got the answer, bolt the clamp up but noticed another part above the clamp called an "oil hole cover". I'm a bit confused as my column does not have a hole or cover. Should I be clamping the column high enough to expose a little of the slot? Is that the oil hole?
Title: Re: Oil Hole? Cover?
Post by: Bob W on March 28, 2012, 07:31:32 PM
The oil hole cover is just a spring steel clip that goes around the column and covers the exposed portion of the slot.
Title: Re: Oil Hole? Cover?
Post by: BMIC on March 28, 2012, 07:35:07 PM
Thanks Bob, I knew there would be a complicated answer to this.....