My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Macgraham on February 21, 2012, 10:45:04 PM

Title: transfer case swap
Post by: Macgraham on February 21, 2012, 10:45:04 PM
I am about to begin to empty my cracked transfer case and re install into a new case. Both are 1 1/8 intermediate shafts. Since I haven't done this before are there any tricks someone may know to make this process successful. Any problem areas to look for? Ihave gaskets and seals and bearings are good. Would appreciate any advice.
Title: Re: transfer case swap
Post by: Carls_jeep on February 21, 2012, 10:57:09 PM
It's pretty easy if you follow the manual instructions.
Title: Re: transfer case swap
Post by: calvinhunt on February 22, 2012, 01:15:27 AM
Carl,
  Not everyone has all the manuals you have.  Which one is best if Macgraham needs to get one? I wouldn't start such a job without a manual.
Title: Re: transfer case swap
Post by: bretto on February 22, 2012, 02:16:03 PM
Are you planning on pulling the hole drive train or just dropping the tcase out underneath? �
One thing I would suggest is pulling the shift tower off the tranny and make sure to secure the shaft from falling backward before pulling the tcase.  Otherwise you'll be fishing for roller bearings that are between the input and the output tranny shaft.
-brett
(http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb356/1brale/M38%20restore/IMG_0130.jpg)
Title: Re: transfer case swap
Post by: Macgraham on February 23, 2012, 10:54:39 PM
The transmission and transfer case are out and I have secured the top trans shaft as you're photo shows. This Jeep was the "beautifully restored" one I bought so I am mainly worried that the transfer case and the transmission for that matter may not be put together properly to begin with. After all the engine had the no. 1 and 2 main caps swiched and only half a thrust bearing and a spun rod bearing. I have a manual that came from Kiaser Willys but it is not all that clear to me but I will do my best. Thanks
Title: Re: transfer case swap
Post by: Carls_jeep on February 24, 2012, 11:09:23 AM
This is the manual I have and it has a lot of detail but sometimes you have to read the whole section to find one piece of info your searching for. If you use this manual to rebuild the tranny and transfer cases you should find what you need to do it. There are other manuals and it doesn't hurt to have some of them if you need more detail. I bought it on ebay at a buy now and it is a reproduction of the original manual. Since your tranny/transfer cases have been abused you may have trouble getting the output shaft out of the output drive gear. If the Jeep has been towed there is a chance the shaft and gear have been galled and have ridges that will make dis-assembly very hard. When pressing the shaft out be careful to support the gear so the case doesn't get cracked.

(http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/yeathatshim/Willysmanual.jpg)
Title: Re: transfer case swap
Post by: Macgraham on February 25, 2012, 03:10:33 PM
I got the Tcase apart no problem but found the intermediate shaft was toast and bearings not so good so am waiting for parts. Since it was handy I also shook the bones out of the transmission and ordered the rebuild kit for it although it was not really too bad. I just don't want to do this again real soon. Thanks to all you guys for you're help and suggestions. Best part is I get to learn stuff. Will be nothin' to it next time.
Title: Re: transfer case swap
Post by: Carls_jeep on February 25, 2012, 11:04:08 PM
I will STRONGLY suggest you buy two new old stock blocking rings rather than reproduction rings. In fact you should stay away from ANY foreign reproduction tranny/transfer parts. Many have had serious issues with them. Novaks has NOS AND USA made parts. Peter DeBella Jeep Parts also is a good source for good parts.

Calvin rebuilt his tranny three times because of faulty reproduction parts. Several others have had the same results.
Title: Re: transfer case swap
Post by: calvinhunt on February 26, 2012, 12:15:39 AM
Quote
Calvin rebuilt his tranny three times because of faulty reproduction parts. Several others have had the same results.
Another good source for NOS is Army Jeep Parts in Levittown,PA. �Good selection, good parts, good help with questions but fairly high prices. �It was worth it. �

I must add to what Carlsjeep stated about my three tranny overhauls. �During the first overhaul I unknowingly installed all new less expensive foreign gears and shafts.  The second overhaul was to replace all the poor quality parts from China, Taiwan, and elsewhere through Omix-Ada (who supplies most distributors and retailers). �There is a thread about the problems others and myself have encountered on the old forum. �The third disassembly was simply to replace 3rd gear synchro blocker ring--I had not left adequate end play for the output shaft upon assembly fter the second overhaul. �I thought I was being real smart and assuring that my tranny would never pop out of 2nd by having minimal end play. �It was due to that, that the synchros wore out in less than 2,000 miles. �After replacing the blocking rings my transmission now handles perfectly. �It is 100% NOS except for seals and bearings. �
Title: Re: transfer case swap
Post by: Carls_jeep on February 26, 2012, 09:53:19 AM
Sorry Calvin, I got confused about your problems and thought all were repro issues.
Title: Re: transfer case swap
Post by: Macgraham on February 26, 2012, 03:06:20 PM
The blocking rings look fine in the one I took apart. Gears appear ok too.