My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Ryan_M on February 15, 2012, 06:53:13 AM

Title: Do I need a spacer for this fuel pump?
Post by: Ryan_M on February 15, 2012, 06:53:13 AM
Fuel pump is an "AC 4032 J4". Do I need to get one of the metal spacers? If so, �can I just use a couple extra gaskets and achieve the same result?

(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/51%20Willys%20Jeep%20CJ3A%20Rehab/DSCN0617.jpg)
Title: Re: Do I need a spacer for this fuel pump?
Post by: athawk11 on February 15, 2012, 10:28:13 AM
Hey Ryan,
That's a really cool fuel pump. �You don't see a glass top with vacuum very often. �

I don't know about your specific pump, but I believe the rule for CJ3A pumps with vacuum wiper function is a spacer should be used. �It helps reduce the fuel pressure. �It also helps the pump fit better in behind the front engine mount plate.

You can use additional gaskets, but I made my own spacer.  I had a chunck of 3/16" steel.  I used the pump mounting surface as a template, then cut, drilled and polished. Turned out fine.

Tim
Title: Re: Do I need a spacer for this fuel pump?
Post by: rocketeer on February 15, 2012, 10:40:02 AM
That pump may or may not work. It's not what a CJ3A calls for. Here's what a CJ3A fuel pump looks like:

http://walcks4wd.com/fuel-pump-w-vacuum-4-cylinder.html

Walcks also sells the spacer:

http://walcks4wd.com/fuel-pump-spacer.html

All CJ3A dual action pumps require a spacer.

(http://walcks4wd.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/0b1c152f68462788b4bdd76719267de2/1/1/119729.jpg)

Larry
Title: Re: Do I need a spacer for this fuel pump?
Post by: Ryan_M on February 15, 2012, 05:28:20 PM
Quote
That pump may or may not work. It's not what a CJ3A calls for. Here's what a CJ3A fuel pump looks like:

http://walcks4wd.com/fuel-pump-w-vacuum-4-cylinder.html

Walcks also sells the spacer:

http://walcks4wd.com/fuel-pump-spacer.html

All CJ3A dual action pumps require a spacer.

(http://walcks4wd.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/0b1c152f68462788b4bdd76719267de2/1/1/119729.jpg)

Larry

I took the pump off my running engine prior to the rehab project so I know it works - at least fuel pump part anyways. The wipers were not connected so I have no idea how well the vacuum booster works, if at all. When I took it off there was a pile of gaskets and RTV sealant - presumably to make up for a spacer they didn't have. I'll probably just order the correct spacer from Walcks' since they're cheap enough. Thanks for the input.
Title: Re: Do I need a spacer for this fuel pump?
Post by: Matto on February 15, 2012, 06:13:28 PM
That pump looks like it's from a F134  CJ3B, CJ5,6.
Title: Re: Do I need a spacer for this fuel pump?
Post by: macrisel on February 16, 2012, 11:33:45 AM
I have the same fuel pump on my 3A and yes, it does require a spacer to get the fuel pressure down.  Without it, the fuel pressure was around 7-8 lbs going to the carb and it flooded the engine.

I thought about replacing it with a factory correct one, but decided I liked the glass fuel bowl on this one better. :)
Title: Re: Do I need a spacer for this fuel pump?
Post by: macrisel on February 16, 2012, 11:35:55 AM
One more thing..........you will have to plug whatever nipple you don't use for your wipers.  Or, if you run your wipers off of your manifold you will have to plug both nipples.
Title: Re: Do I need a spacer for this fuel pump?
Post by: Ryan_M on February 16, 2012, 04:42:32 PM
thanks for all the info. i will order a spacer.

ryan