My Willys 3A and 3B Community
3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: Matto on June 19, 2011, 10:30:55 AM
-
I am cleaning up a CJ3B to use as a weekend driver while my 3A is apart. (thought I could finish the 3A project in a year. RIGHT.) �The original color was Granada green metallic. I am planning to use Duplicolor Paint Shop Emerald green metallic lacquer. Over the years this jeep was painted red with enamel based spray paint. You can spray enamel over lacquer but you can't spray lacquer over enamel.
Duplicolors website says you need to spray an apropriate sealer on the enamel paint before applying lacquer but they do not say where to get the "sealer". Has anyone used something like this? I don't want to strip the entire jeep, it's not a 100 point show piece. And I'm not sure if the factory paint is lacquer or enamel either.
Thanks
Matt
(http://i51.tinypic.com/wbffr4.jpg)
-
Judging by the way the paint is peeling off the grill you should probably remove the red paint. It looks like the surface was not properly prepared. Since the red is not sticking anything applied over it will not stick either.
-
Bob speaks much truth there....IF you can get hold of a DA sander just 80 grit the red off... then hit it with 180, and a coat of primer surfacer... block sand, seal, and topcoat. � �HOWEVER...it is a JEEP, and laquer is not the best choice. Stick with an acrylic enamel if possible. You really do not want to wet sand and buff out a jeep. Besides, Lacquer is not a durable paint anyhow. �If you are worried about spraying the metallic , you could go with a basecoat clearcoat as teh basecoats are very similar to lacquer to spray, while the clear can be enamel like or even urethane...
In many places you can't even buy laquer based auto body finishes for VOC compliance reasons.
This might �also be a great project for you to prep and MAACO to paint. You get pro sprayers, and you do all the tedious fine work like masking and part removal..
You also might want to try a high pressure car wash on that grille..It may strip it right down to the factory green, which was enamel based to my understanding.
-
x2 on the DA sander. You definately want to get down to good, solid paint that is adhered properly.
-
Thanks for the advice. I had already blasted this with a pressure washer too get the loose stuff off. I will hit everything I can with a DA, I was more concerned about body joints, inside corners, and nooks and crannys. I will switch to enamel paint. I guess there's no easy way around proper prep.
:)