My Willys 3A and 3B Community
3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: ejb17 on June 04, 2011, 09:08:45 AM
-
New to the forum because an old friend of the family gave me an old CJ3A/M38. It is rough but it runs-although someone put in a V6 Jeep/Buick engine-and my nephew,son and I are going to tackle getting it roadworthy. The funny part is it has what I think is an Alum. Sears hard top that is totally complete and in VG to almost Exc. condition. My question is does this top have any value as it may help jump start our project?
From what I have read it does not seem to be at all rare so does it have any significant attributes?
One more question for you expert CJ3A guys-does the V6 have any value to the later model Jeep owners?
Thanks in advance for any help and thoughts.
-
I haven't seen much of a market for the hard tops in the Middle Atlantic region. Seems everyone wants to take them off and go back to canvas. Unfortunately for the sellers, they usually are sold cheap or given away.
Some of the folks turning Willys into off road Jeeps love the V-6 conversion you mention. You will like the extra power if you decide to keep it!
-
Welcome to the forum.
You will find incredible information here. I am always amazed how willing the folks here are to offer their experiences and help.
I think others will agree that these things are a curse. You will most likely find yourself obsessed.
On the Arctic top: I have seen them listed on Ebay. There seems to be little interest for most folks. They are kinda ugly compared to the canvas tops. At least for me.
On the engine: You do have the "rock crawler" element out there on other forums. You may find a buyer if you are going to go back to the original Flat Head L-134 Go Devil. If you are keeping the V-6, you will have the advantage of more power. I guess it depends on what you ultimately want to use the Willys for.
Have fun.
Tim