My Willys 3A and 3B Community
3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: brotherdavid on May 13, 2011, 06:31:06 PM
-
cleaned my speedometer cable and cable housing today and was wondering what to lube the cable with?
-
lythium.
-
I have always used white lubriplate grease.
-
thanks for the info. I'll pick some up.
-
I used dry graphite. Use nothing that holds dirt or dust. Jim
-
The dry graphite will gravitate to the bottom of the cable and leave the core high and dry. Also, there is no way for dirt to get into the speedo cable when it is installed in the tranny and speedo.
Even a good lithium wheel bearing grease is better than dry graphite. There is a graphite grease you can get for lubing dead centers in a lathe but I still don't recommend that for speedo cables.
-
Hmmm, you may have a point. Jim
-
Use lubriplate.
Larry