My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: iflylow74 on May 10, 2011, 01:28:29 PM

Title: Clutch Alignment?
Post by: iflylow74 on May 10, 2011, 01:28:29 PM
Hey all,

Finally have my new crank/bearings installed and am on to install the flywheel and clutch. This is all new to me so I'm learning as I go. :)

Any tips on aligning the clutch? I've seen special tools used for this but hate to purchase one if not completely necessary as I will probably never use it again.

Thanks!
Title: Re: Clutch Alignment?
Post by: p3ferris on May 10, 2011, 05:28:27 PM
Clutch aleignment tool is a wood peg.  Only a few bucks.  make sure it is for your vehicle. Well worth the few  dollars.
Title: Re: Clutch Alignment?
Post by: Gunslinger on May 11, 2011, 08:35:34 AM
I made one out of an old broom handle that fit the ID of the clutch disc.  Turned the end down to fit the pilot hole.  It wasn't pretty, but as long as the engine is out and you can see what you are doing its OK.  If you can find the wooden one for that engine your best off, but I have't seen those for a while.  

Once I was able to talk an old mechanic out of a worn out pilot shaft for the vehicle I was working on.  That was free and accurate1!!
Title: Re: Clutch Alignment?
Post by: jamesr on May 11, 2011, 11:53:36 AM
I used the input transmission shaft, then assembled the transmission.  Jim
Title: Re: Clutch Alignment?
Post by: athawk11 on May 13, 2011, 04:08:19 PM
I'm kind of in line with JamesR.

I set the clutch in position and tightened the pressure plate just enough to hold the disc in place.  Without the bellhousing on, and although it was heavy and cumbersome, I was able to take the assembled transmission (disconnected from the transfer case and cross member), slide it into the clutch splines and guide bearing, then tightened the pressure plate bolts a little at a time, crossing back and forth until they were all tight.  

Note: The transmission shaft was wired in place so the shaft would stay in position.  Also, my Willys is completely disassembled for a restoration.  It made good sense for me to do it this way.  (I didn't take the transmission totally apart as the prior owner had done this a few years ago.)

Note: The transmission is a bit heavy assembled.  I had it sitting on some blocks while I used it to align the clutch.  This also assured that the splines on the shaft and the clutch mated and were the right size.

I know this is goofy, but it worked for me.

Tim
Title: Re: Clutch Alignment?
Post by: RussellL on May 14, 2011, 09:18:55 AM
Napa sells some generic plastic alignment tools and Jungle Jims (aka Willysjeepparts.com) sells a specific tool for $16.95 and includes one if you buy a clutch kit from them.  There may be other jeep parts sellers that have them also.  They aren't expensive.  
Title: Re: Clutch Alignment?
Post by: Carls_jeep on May 14, 2011, 05:45:54 PM
Geez Tim, you sure did it the hard way. It's cheap to buy a generic clutch alignment tool and not have to fight with all that weight and I don't know how you really had it in line like that. I guess it worked for you but I bet that was a real wrestling match under there.

I have done so many clutches I have gotten to where I hate doing it and find the easiest way now. I even bought my uncles tranny jack so I wouldn't have to lift the buggers any more than needed.

If you replaced the input shaft when you rebuilt the tranny you can use that to align the clutch.
Title: Re: Clutch Alignment?
Post by: athawk11 on May 16, 2011, 11:00:44 AM
Hey Carl.  

Yeah,  a bit crazy, but as mentioned, the CJ is disassembled.  The tub is off, so I was able to work from above.  I got the clutch in the mail and was so excited to actually reassemble something...anything,  that I didn't want to wait 4 days to get an alignment tool through the mail.

Tim
Title: Re: Clutch Alignment?
Post by: Carls_jeep on May 16, 2011, 01:15:24 PM
Yea, having the tub off made it easier. If you ever do a clutch job again and you align the clutch plate but the tranny still won't go in have someone work the clutch release fork while you shove the tranny in. As long as the input shaft is in the clutch plate but it won't go into the pilot bearing that trick will work. It's still a wrestling match but it will work.