My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: TomJ on May 03, 2011, 09:56:35 AM

Title: Brakes
Post by: TomJ on May 03, 2011, 09:56:35 AM
Hey everyone;

I'm rebuilding a '51 and right now in the process of putting the back axle on and reinstalling the back brake assemblies. It looks like there is a felt gasket in the grease retainer bracket, is it a good idea to put a new one in before re-installing?  

Tom
Title: Re: Brakes
Post by: RA472A on May 04, 2011, 09:19:23 AM
If it looks old, or you don't know when it was last serviced, I'd definitely replace them.
Title: Re: Brakes
Post by: p3ferris on May 04, 2011, 10:13:00 AM
Look at it this way,  If you do it now it will save a lot of time and labor later.
Title: Re: Brakes
Post by: rocketeer on May 04, 2011, 05:45:15 PM
New seals and gaskets are cheap compared to the amount of work required to get at them so it's always a good idea to replace them when you already have something apart to work on it.

Larry
Title: Re: Brakes
Post by: TomJ on May 04, 2011, 07:54:19 PM
Yeah I think you guys are right, the next issue is how they come out.  I believe the mechanics manual shows using a certain tool to tap them out and then back in, does anyone have first hand experience with these?

Tom