My Willys 3A and 3B Community
3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: 3aJeeper on April 20, 2011, 09:46:29 AM
-
No, not a personal problem....
I've been trying to get the wheels off so I can access the brakes and can't get the lug nuts to budge. I've been hitting them with PBlaster and another penetrate for a few weeks, tapping with a hammer and heating them with a propane touch. Used ratchets, wrenches and pneumatic wrench.
Nuthin'
Are other any other tricks I should try? get a bigger hammer? wave a chicken over my head while hopping on one leg?
-
You do know that they turn in two different directions? Look for a letter stamped into the lug nut. R=right, L=left. Turn the opposite to loosen. Usually the left hand threads are on the drivers side but if somebody accidently switched hubs sometime in the past they could be anywhere. That's why it's best to look for the stamping.
Larry
-
Yep - the driver's side are marked 'L' and I've been trying to turn'em that way.
I am 2 for 2 in the noob question department..... :P
Thanks for the tip, I would not have thought about that.
-
Penetrating oil and time may get them off but if you need them off now you will have to get them red with a torch and use an impact wrench on them. Some may twist off but it may be best to replace all of them anyway.
-
I'll second Carl about the aceynlene torch. A lot of time, a little propane torch will not get a stuck bolt hot enough..
-
Hey guys, he was turning them the wrong way.
Larry
-
:-[opps, so he was, missed that post.
-
Rocketeer - Turning them the correct way hasn't worked either. I've been using PBlaster couple times �a week for several weeks straight and on and off for months and still nothing. I don't have a torch, so I think I'm at the point where I'll use a big ratchet and torque them around. If they come loose, great...if I the bolts gives way, then I'll rationalize that it was bad and needed replacement. There's already a few sheered bolts so I'm heading down that road.
-
Wait a minute, to remove a left hand thread nut you turn it to the right. To remove a right hand nut you turn it to the left. Are you doing that?
If you are the only thing that will remove them is to get them red with an acy/oxy torch. A propane torch will not do the job.
-
Yep - I learned (earlier in the thread) that there are 'L' and 'R' and they turn in opposite directions.....
Tried a few already and they came loose. So, lack of torque seems to be the problem.
Now the challenge will be the ones with rounded edges.....
-
You might want to try a nut cracker, "yeh I know". :-/ You can get them at most Hdwe stores, that way you don't really mess up the hubs.