My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: bayo500 on April 07, 2011, 08:53:59 PM

Title: Original temp gauge
Post by: bayo500 on April 07, 2011, 08:53:59 PM
I had to replace my temp gauge and put in a replacement as it had been cut half way to the head, anyone ever heard of them being repaired with a new line and bulb, I think the bulb originaly had some sort of spirit in it.
Title: Re: Original temp gauge
Post by: macrisel on April 08, 2011, 09:47:34 AM
I too am interested in this, my original temp gage lead was cut right before the sensor.  I had entertained the idea of soldering the line back together, but was unsure if it would cause a problem..
Title: Re: Original temp gauge
Post by: jamesr on April 08, 2011, 11:52:15 AM
I  too have an aftermarket for the same reason.  I kept the original in case someone could fix it.  Hey, someone made it, so someone can fix it!  Jim
Title: Re: Original temp gauge
Post by: Carls_jeep on April 08, 2011, 08:09:18 PM
They are a closed system and the bulb and line are filled with a fluid that expands and contracts according to the engine temp. I would suspect the only place that could fix them is the place that made or makes them. If you could get a gauge factory to rebuild yours you would be very lucky.

You could do a google for a shop that repairs automotive gauges.

Have you googled for a NOS temp guage? Have you checked ebay for a NOS gauge? Have you checked all the CJ and military sites to see if they have a NOS gauge?
Title: Re: Original temp gauge
Post by: bayo500 on April 09, 2011, 01:53:26 AM
Hey Macrisel, I don't think you could fix it at home, it looks like our old ones are not repairable so 'New' Old Stock or stick with the copy for now.


http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/5711/1011884.jpg
Title: Re: Original temp gauge
Post by: F Bill on April 09, 2011, 09:19:41 AM
There is a way to splice on the bourdon tube from a new donor gage, while the temp bulb is immeersed in dry ice...The tube is soldered together in an area that will be covered  when installed and away from gage and bulb.   Do a google search, you might find it. When I get time I will attempt to find the page that details the repair.  It is not a jeep gage, might have been an old studebaker or plymouth or ??? but the principle is the same.   It was shown over on the www.g503.com  mbgpw tech discussion board too, so try searching there too.
Title: Re: Original temp gauge
Post by: F Bill on April 09, 2011, 09:20:44 AM
By the way they are filled with Ether , like starting fluid, from what I understand...
Title: Re: Original temp gauge
Post by: bayo500 on April 11, 2011, 12:26:43 AM
Thanks, i'll do some digging at the jeep meet at the end of the year.
Title: Re: Original temp gauge
Post by: F Bill on April 12, 2011, 04:14:08 PM
I found the webpage for you searching for "temperature gage repair bourdon tube" �on google. There is another webpage listed that talks about using a soldered tiny nut and screw to introduce the correct amount of ether to the system that is interesting.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Crosley/message/870
Title: Re: Original temp gauge
Post by: bayo500 on April 12, 2011, 08:40:06 PM
Thanks F Bill, thats a good find, i'll print it and put it in my "to do" file.
Title: Re: Original temp gauge
Post by: Carls_jeep on April 13, 2011, 10:05:20 AM
I think it would be more reliable to get a new old stock or a reproduction copy.

Title: Re: Original temp gauge
Post by: mud pie on April 14, 2011, 08:30:47 AM
Quote
I think it would be more reliable to get a new old stock or a reproduction copy.

I agree. While it may be a point of personal pride in rebuilding the original, its kind of like rebuilding the original spark plugs. While it may be done, but why ?
Title: Re: Original temp gauge
Post by: F Bill on April 14, 2011, 11:08:37 AM
Quote
Quote
I think it would be more reliable to get a new old stock or a reproduction copy.

I agree. While it may be a point of personal pride in rebuilding the original, its kind of like rebuilding the original spark plugs. While it may be done, but why ?


To have a jeep with all original or original appearing components.. Modern gages just don't look right in a restoration, especially those chrome bezel ones... And a properly restored original gage should function just as well and long as a new repro..

A NOS original temperature gage will bring pretty intense wallet drain,if you can even find one...I know of no supplier that has them.. so with so many old gages needing just the bourdon tube still out there, why not?

Now spark plugs are another thing.. You really cannot rebuild them to new condition... but Original, wrapped in cosmolene and waxed paper plugs for a WWII jeep are insanely priced on the auction sites..

Such is the difference between restorers and normal jeep guys who plan to use their jeeps as they were designed. While I do plan on restoring my 45 CJ2A down to the last little part, all original, my 3A with the Pinto motor is probably gonna give me a whole lot more fun and satisfaction, especially when I get to travel the Colorado trails with it..If I scratch it, Oh well, get out the rattle can. The 45 will get parade use,and probably just sit there and look nice. �Nuthin' wrong with either plan. �:)
Title: Re: Original temp gauge
Post by: Gunslinger on April 14, 2011, 08:42:54 PM
You might check with John at Midwest Military for that NOS gage.  I just bought a NOS oil pump from him, in the original packaging and my dad bought a NOS front axle gasket set in the original 1940 packaging, it was unbelievable and the stuff looked like new!!