My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: brotherdavid on April 02, 2011, 12:18:41 PM

Title: leaf springs
Post by: brotherdavid on April 02, 2011, 12:18:41 PM
I recently installed new springs on my 53 cj3a front and rear. the jeep now sits @ 1/2 inch higher on the passenger side than the drivers side looking from the back side. there is no body on the frame.
 I purchased the springs from kaiser willys part #A614 for the rear springs. I dont recall it leaning like this before but I really didnt pay to much attension.
 I guess I was just wondering if they had to settle in after some driving or if my frame is twisted.

Title: Re: leaf springs
Post by: rocketeer on April 02, 2011, 02:30:37 PM
It's very common for these jeeps to lean slightly to the driver's side. It's normal.

Larry
Title: Re: leaf springs
Post by: Tumbleweed on April 04, 2011, 10:39:10 AM
Just a thought here - I wonder why Walks and Kaiser offer a differ on the leaf spring count for the front and rear. Also Kaiser sells both 9 and 10 leaf for the rear. That brings up a question. What is the correct leaf count for a CJ3A front and rear?

Thanks, George
Title: Re: leaf springs
Post by: rocketeer on April 04, 2011, 05:55:19 PM
The 1949 Willys Parts manual for CJ2A and CJ3A �lists:

Fronts:
8 leaf standard, 10 leaf heavy duty

Rears:
9 leaf standard, 11 leaf heavy duty

Larry
Title: Re: leaf springs
Post by: Tumbleweed on April 11, 2011, 11:10:08 AM
Thanks Larry,

I believe that I will go with the standard. I'm sure that it would be difficult to tell any change in the smooth ride if I went up to HD!

I pulled the springs off the fron this weekend. They only had 2 leaves on each end. I thought something was wrong.