My Willys 3A and 3B Community

3A, 3B, DJ Technical Knowledge Base => "Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations => Topic started by: mud pie on November 07, 2010, 01:01:12 AM

Title: Replacing Motor Mounts
Post by: mud pie on November 07, 2010, 01:01:12 AM
I plan on replacing both motor mounts. Is it okay to put a block of wood under the oil pan skid plate and use a floor jack to raise it just a tad to relieve the pressure on the mounts ?  I don't have a hoist nor room to even use one.
Title: Re: Replacing Motor Mounts
Post by: Carls_jeep on November 07, 2010, 10:49:09 AM
Yes, I use a 2x4 long enough to go the width of the pan when I do that. You can lift the engine a lot that way but remove the bolt in the transfer case support mount and that will let the engine lift up enough to replace the front engine mounts. Only raise it as much as you need to replace the old mounts.
Title: Re: Replacing Motor Mounts
Post by: mud pie on November 07, 2010, 03:12:41 PM
Cool beans, thanks !
Title: Re: Replacing Motor Mounts
Post by: Doug on November 07, 2010, 09:09:57 PM
I agree you can do that no problem.   When you go to remove the motor mounts, I have found that if I only remove the large top nuts on each side, it is hard to lift the engine over the bolts because the threaded bolt portion angles inward  and as you lift the engine, it binds.   I usually loosen or remove the small nut and bolts that attaches the motor mount to the frame on at least one side.  That way you can get some lateral movement which allows the engine to swing over the angled threaded bolt on the other side.    Before I learned this, I would jack the engine up but it would not budge off the mounts.   Then I discovered the angle of the main bolts made the engine catch on the way up.   If your motor mounts are rotten, they may have enough flex but newer mounts are not fliexible enough.  

I do the reverse when I am reinstalling the engine.  
Title: Re: Replacing Motor Mounts
Post by: mud pie on November 07, 2010, 10:31:16 PM
Thanks for the tip !

And BOY are they rotten !!  I have to replace them before I even think about kicking the engine over.  That's be in a few months probably, so get ready for a BUNCH of questions from yours truly !   :)

So far I've re-cored the radiator, rebuilt the carb, rebuilt the fuel pump, ran all new pre-bent fuel lines, pulled the fuel tank, flushed it and will line it with POR-15.

I have the hand crank and the cam nut kit coming, so I can slowly turn things over before putting a battery in.  New wiring harness in next, then a battery.  It's amazing the chop job that was done to this wiring !!  Somebody used lamp cord to wire in a right side tail light !  :o  Not to mention that most of the insulation is flat-out missing/cracked.

My name at Walcks should be well known, as I'm sending weekly parts orders.....

My wife, on the other hand, it getting quite familiar with the Walcks name, also...  I keep getting phone calls while I'm at work that pretty much go, "You got ANOTHER package from Walcks !  What did you order THIS time ?!?"   ::)
Title: Re: Replacing Motor Mounts
Post by: Carls_jeep on November 08, 2010, 09:27:16 AM
She's not jealous of your high maintenance girl friend in the garage is she?  :o