My Willys 3A and 3B Community
TECH FAQ SECTIONS => EVERYTHING ELSE, General tips => Topic started by: Quebec Jeep on July 16, 2013, 10:11:50 AM
-
First, I don't want to start again this non-ending discussion about lube. I red many posts here and on cj2a, G503 forum about it.
I just want to make an "updated" chart with product that we should use. I never saw it anywhere so let try to make one here on the CJ3A forum.
Chassis Lubrication� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �Grease 0 or 1 one tube
Transmission and Transfer Case� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �80-90W GL1� 3.7 liters�� �� NAPA 65-201 (1 gallon) 65-205 (5 gallon)
Differentials -- Front and Rear� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �80w90 GL5 MT-1� 2.5 liters
Steering Gear� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� chevron EP000� two tube or �2 liters (also for knuckle) or SAE 140
Wheel Bearings� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �Grease 2 one tube
Universal Joints (Front Axle Shaft)� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �Grease 0 or 1
Universal Joints (Propeller Shaft)� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� Grease 0 or 1
Air Cleaner� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� same as engine around 600ml
Engine� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �10W30� �4.75 liters
Brake fluid� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� DOT4� around 500ml
Radiator� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� Prestone� � 10.5 liters
Need of ZDDP additive to the engine oil is always a good idea.� It will help these flat tappet engines, as modern oils have very little zinc.
20w50 contain already zinc in it. And Rotella T 15w-40 also.
In the transfert case and transmission, we need GL1 because of the brass bushing. Yellow metal.
-
It had been very hard to find a Canadian supplier for SAE 90 and SAE 140 oil but I succeed.
Bill Comat from http://comatmotorsports.com/ is offering a great service. Give him a call and I'm sure he will help you.
He also carry Classic Performance 20w50 with high levels of ZDDP, DOT 4 brake fluid etc.
The oil are made in England by Millers Oil.
-
For the transmission and TC I am seeing lube charts that spec GL1 and GL4. Is this a distinction without a difference? I've been using GL4 based on what it says in the service manual.
It also says 3 1/2 pts or 1.65 l.
-
I don't really know...I've been using GL-4.....my CJ-5 has had who-knows-what put in it over the 51 years it's been in the family, and it still shifts smoother and runs quieter than the rebuilt 3A..
I just bought some Napa GL-1. Might try it, might not......I can't imagine that it would be noticeably different, but I might get a surprise...
-
For Transmission and Trasnfert case:
Amsoil Synthetic manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 GL-4
Citgo Citgear Standard XD 75W-90 GL-4
Pennzoil Gearplus 80W-90 GL-4
Pennzoil Synthetic 75W-90 GL-4 (from the spec sheet, the best overall viscosity curve)
Quaker State Multi-purpose Gear Lubricant 80W-90 GL-4
You should read this paper also about it: