My Willys 3A and 3B Community

TECH FAQ SECTIONS => Electrical Systems => Topic started by: LKap on June 10, 2018, 12:37:29 PM

Title: Turn Signal Question
Post by: LKap on June 10, 2018, 12:37:29 PM
I just picked up a used Signal-stat 900.  The wiring diagram on the 3b page is pretty straight forward. The thing I don�t get is where I connect at the front/rear lights and the brake switch. Do I just pigtail a wire in at the load wire coming out of the tail light/parking light?  Where exactly do I run the wire to the brake switch coming off the master cylinder?
Title: Re: Turn Signal Question
Post by: 64CJ5 on June 11, 2018, 12:01:15 AM
Good luck with the turn signal switch.� I could not figure my switch out so left it off my '52 M-38 project.� I use hand signals and have more people waving at me.�
Title: Re: Turn Signal Question
Post by: athawk11 on June 11, 2018, 12:45:15 PM
Are you adding the SigStat 900 to an otherwise functioning original style electrical system?  If so, there are a number of changes you will need to make, and extra wires you will need to add to your harness.

Tell us what you're starting with.  For example, do you already have two tail lamps?  And do they have dual filament bulbs or single filament bulbs?

Same question for the front lights.  Although I believe the SigStat 900 can work the front lamps with just single filament bulbs, some older and newer reproduction turn signal switches require dual filament bulbs.

And finally, is this SigStat 900 reconditioned/rebuilt?  If not, we can take you through all the trouble of adding wiring, just to find the 900 doesn't work as it should. This can be very frustrating for all involved.
Title: Re: Turn Signal Question
Post by: aboyandhisdog on June 11, 2018, 03:05:48 PM
I can't add much here...I don't even know what a "Signal Stat-900" is!� But I did find this thread on turns pretty interesting, and JonL seems to know his stuff.� He might be a good resource for you.

http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/3Ayabb26/YaBB.pl?num=1518303196
Title: Re: Turn Signal Question
Post by: LKap on June 13, 2018, 07:43:37 PM
I�m pretty sure the wiring harness is �mostly� original. I have original single filament front parking lights and 2 dual filament taillights (cheapos bought at KW). I never use the parking lights so I would be fine converting the front ones to signals only.

I�m assuming I need to
1. run wires to both of the taillights and connect to turn signal
2. Connect the front parking light wires  to the appropriate wires on the turn signal.
3. Run a wire to the brake switch on the master cylinder
4. Install and connect flasher unit
5. Connect to ammeter

For #1/3 - do I just pigtail the wire in? Which wire do I connect it to?

As far as my signal stat 900 goes it seems to be one of the newer reproduction and is very complete. Even has the in-line fuse on the wire going to the ammeter.

This seems relatively straightforward I just don�t want to tear into things and make a big mess.

If it�s more complicated then maybe I�ll stick with hand signals  :D
Title: Re: Turn Signal Question
Post by: athawk11 on June 13, 2018, 09:49:13 PM
Here is a diagram that should help.� Pay particular attention to leg 34.� On yours, this wire goes straight back to the tail lamps.


(http://www.mywillyspics.com/images/2018/06/13/IMG_2091.jpg)




Here is a stock diagram for comparison...



(http://www.mywillyspics.com/images/2018/06/13/IMG_2092.jpg) (http://www.mywillyspics.com/image/jQd18)
Title: Re: Turn Signal Question
Post by: LKap on June 14, 2018, 04:54:42 AM
Awesome diagram - this helps a lot!!
Title: Re: Turn Signal Question
Post by: mtnman37879 on June 14, 2018, 04:44:16 PM
Here's the instructions that come with your 900 from Signalstat