My Willys 3A and 3B Community
TECH FAQ SECTIONS => Chassis, brakes and suspension. => Topic started by: RandyA on June 02, 2018, 04:51:14 PM
-
Gents... Hey me again....another dumb question...Putting in new brakes and clutch pedal shafts...after bolting everything in... brake pedal shaft is about a half inch off from being close to center on tub floor... Can I bend that rascal somehow... I know its cast and that's my concern... any other adjustments? As always.. Thanks for all your help... Randy A.
-
Just something to check Randy...is it adjusted over to the side on the shaft as far as it can be? You may be able to slide it one way or the other by shifting the big washers around. You can snug it up nice too with washers without having to fab that threaded tightener that a lot of the guys have made.
-
Yes Sir have it moved over as much as I can... tried putting a little pull on the pedal shaft last night and I think she moved over enough .... Gonna try and crew everything tight this morning and find out if that worked... Thanks...
-
Hi Randy,
I believe that most of us that have replaced a brake pedal arm have been forced to modify/bend the arm to match the hole in the tub.
I used an acetylene torch and a bunch of "trial and error". :(
-
Randy,
I just completed this process a few weeks ago with a new brake pedal arm. I do not have a oxy-acetylene setup and MAPP wasnt hot enough. I went to Home Depot and got a Bernzomatic MAPP-Oxy kit. Worked perfectly. Took a couple tries but it got it just hot enough to bend. Buy a few extra oxygen tanks as they run out VERY quickly.
Check out the thread in the Tech Talk section - "Brake and Clutch Pedal Arm Question"
-
Thanks all....
-
Well shoot... That didn't work..... Tried heating a new rod and it just broke in half... Used a small rose bud, Got her red hot... just barely put a pull on it... and she snapped in half... New ones coming... Not doing something right... Randy A.
-
Well shoot... That didn't work..... Tried heating a new rod and it� just broke in half... Used a small rose bud, Got her red hot... just barely put a pull on it... and she snapped in half... New ones coming... Not doing something right... Randy A.
Which rod???
-
You broke this????
(http://www.mywillyspics.com/images/2018/06/29/pedal-arm.jpg)
-
The arrow is pointing to a brake pedal arm.
A Willys brake pedal arm is cast steel and will bend well if heated to proper temp.
A Willys pedal shaft is steel and is assembled to the pedal pad.
Red to dull orange is ideal for bending either the shaft or the arm.
If yours broke perhaps it was an aftermarket part made of cast iron.
-
Yes Sir I broke that... bought from Kaiser.. Just received another one in the mail...I'll give er another try.... Kinda wish my Willys was that nice looking... As always Thanks to all... Randy A.
-
That did it... Must have gotten a bad one earlier... Thanks all...