My Willys 3A and 3B Community

TECH FAQ SECTIONS => Chassis, brakes and suspension. => Topic started by: aboyandhisdog on July 04, 2017, 03:20:42 PM

Title: Getting 11 inch drums off
Post by: aboyandhisdog on July 04, 2017, 03:20:42 PM
My drums have now worn in to the point that I can't get one of them off.  What is the secrete?  I've tried the rubber mallet, prybar, even a ball-joint spreader.  Need sage advice!  Thanks!
Title: Re: Getting 11 inch drums off
Post by: athawk11 on July 04, 2017, 05:47:08 PM
Not familiar with 11" brake systems, but if you can't get them off, you could try opening the bleeder valve to alleviate the pressure on the shoes.  Then move the drum back and forth to push the shoes inward.

Also, are there small screws holding them to the hub?  I believe the 9" M38 brake drums have the screws. 
Title: Re: Getting 11 inch drums off
Post by: aboyandhisdog on July 04, 2017, 08:39:57 PM
Thanks Hawk.  These brakes are like more modern drum brakes in that they just slip over the hub just prior to the wheel going on.  The bleeder doesn't seem to relieve pressure on the shoes as the adjusters hold the shoes pretty snug to the drum.  I didn't want to mess with the adjusters.

But, problem solved!  I had been trying to pry off the drum from basically one point and I discovered you need to bang 3 or 4 chisels in between the drum and the backing plate at the same time so that they are pushing the drum off the hub uniformly.  Sort of like changing a bike tire where you use 3 tools to get the tire off the rim.  Anyway, now I know.  Thanks for the idea though.
Title: Re: Getting 11 inch drums off
Post by: mtnman37879 on July 05, 2017, 07:34:43 AM
You have to loosen the adjustment to remove them. There's a tool you need. It reaches in the little slot and loosens the shoes.