My Willys 3A and 3B Community

TECH FAQ SECTIONS => BODY and trim => Topic started by: CraigM on November 19, 2018, 12:31:50 PM

Title: Primer
Post by: CraigM on November 19, 2018, 12:31:50 PM
I have found a lot of info on paint and colors for parts and the body but have not found any info on the primer color on the parts and body does anyone know the color of the primer,
since this can affect the finished shade of the paint.
Title: Re: Primer
Post by: squidtone on November 20, 2018, 09:06:16 AM
I can only give my experience with my 1950 CJ. I believe my Jeep had all of it's original parts, wheels, body panels, electrics...etc. I was the first one to "rebuild" it.
The body tub, windshield and fenders had the faintest traces of a thin wash of red oxide primer.
The hood however had a heavy coat of red oxide primer on every surface, and I saw no sign that it had ever had work done to it (no fillers, no hammer work, etc) so I think that was original primer too.

I would not be surprised at the different thicknesses of primer since I think the hood could have come from a different part of the factory floor, different workers, or even a different supplier.

I know GTO's in the 60's had the front fenders and hood primed black, and the "body tubs" were primed with red oxide. They were finish painted that way!

So, that's one data point for you.

Incidentally, my Jeep was Luzon Red.
Title: Re: Primer
Post by: CraigM on November 20, 2018, 09:25:48 PM
Thanks for your info.
Title: Re: Primer
Post by: Daveg64 on February 03, 2019, 09:38:17 PM
my 51' seems to have all the original green paint on it, and where it is chipped theres signs of red oxide primer.