My Willys 3A and 3B Community
Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc. => Willys photo and story threads... => Topic started by: athawk11 on May 30, 2013, 10:45:55 AM
-
My wife and I were invited to participate in the local Memorial Day Parade.� During the parade prep, a Veteran of the Korean War named John asked if he could ride the parade route in my Willys.� I told him that�s why I came and that I would be thrilled to have him.
(http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa397/athawk11/image_zpsf64032db.jpg) (http://s1195.photobucket.com/user/athawk11/media/image_zpsf64032db.jpg.html)
Here is a short video my wife took during the parade�
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZJ39RSx3s-A
Once the parade was over, we met another Veteran of WWII named Richard.� His daughter offered to pay me to take her dad for a ride.� I refused her money then made it clear that it would be my honor to take Richard for a ride.� Here is the video of Richard getting into my Willys.� Tears of joy rolled down the face of Richard�s daughter as we drove away.�
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5N7OToBmxyg
Both of these gentlemen were gracious and thankful to a fault.� I had to continuously remind them that I am the one who is thankful for the sacrifices they made for me and my freedoms.�
This is a day I will never forget.
Tim
(http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa397/athawk11/image_zps91522c12.jpg) (http://s1195.photobucket.com/user/athawk11/media/image_zps91522c12.jpg.html)
-
WOW... brought tears to my eyes Tim.
Every now and then someone posts the question " What is my Jeep worth"? I think the reply should be your video and the words its priceless!
-
Any chance to make a veteran smile is worth it. I miss the parades I used to attend in my GPW. The Veterans I was able to carry were a whole lot of fun. Even if your jeep is not a genuine army jeep....go ahead and do it if you get the chance!!
Thanks, Tim, for putting up the post and videos, and for doing what most of us could not this Memorial day.
-
Nice!! Thanks.
-
Very cool.
"If we don't come back, don't worry about us...!"
Too funny!
-
Ryan,
What you couldn't hear was his follow up ..."if we don't come back, don't worry about us.� We'll be at the bar!"�
What a great guy.� He had me laughing the whole time.
These folks truly are the Greatest Generation.
Tim
-
That is a great video. Thanks for posting!
-
What could be better than giving a little pleasure to a WW2 veteran on Memorial Day? Thanks for posting the videos, Tim.
-
Thanks for sharing those videos Tim, these guys are all heroes.
-
Tim,
I'm a bit late getting to this great post, but I'm certainly glad I did. Most of our posts are fun and enjoyable, but your with the video of the uniformed veteran showed purpose and honor. Thanks. Really great.
-
Thanks to all of you that posted and took time to look. In my lifetime, there will be no remaining veterans from WWII. That is very sad. These people are a gold mine for what was really going on.
The history that will be lost is just as sad as the passing of the Greatest Generation.
Tim
-
Thanks to all of you that posted and took time to look.� In my lifetime, there will be no remaining veterans from WWII. That is very sad.� These people are a gold mine for what was really going on.
The history that will be lost is just as sad as the passing of the Greatest Generation.
Tim
Agreed Tim, it is very sad. My maternal grandfather joined the navy after Pearl Harbor, spent the next 4 years in a heavy cruiser's gun turret, would hardly ever talk about it, even when asked. After his death, I started to research his ship (USS Portland) and ask his closest friends about what they knew, I was very humbled. Also, knowing that his immense sacrifice for his country was just one of many more thousands, a debt we could never pay back. Thankfully, some light was brought in to the life of some old veterans last Monday. Thanks for posting Tim!! A big thumbs up!!!!
-
awesome thread, and awesome M38!
-
awesome thread, and awesome M38! I am a veteran myself, and I always try to thank these older vets when I see them.