My Willys 3A and 3B Community
Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc. => Willys photo and story threads... => Topic started by: Ryan_M on July 13, 2013, 07:31:12 PM
-
I spent last week on vacation on the coast of Maine with my wife and some friends. Of course, I had to bring the 3A. The cabin we stayed at was only 100 miles from home but the scenery is night-and-day compared to where I live.� With this fresh territory in which to roam, I logged several hundred miles on the 3A over the course of the week and got to meet a few interesting folks along the way. The 3A is way better at making friends than I am so we make a good team. I figured I'd share a few pics. This may run along the lines of the doting parent that forces friends and relatives to view annoying vacation pics of their child doing utterly mundane things. If you find this sort of thing repulisive, click to another thread now. You've been warned....
Upon arrival at our cabin I immediately set to work constructing the "tarp garage".� As usual, my wife questioned my priorities as she unloaded the perishables from the truck to the fridge while I fiddled with my makeshift shelter. Pretty nice place, right on a salt water cove in South Bristol, ME.
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130712_131104_zps6ef1fa9a.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130712_131416_zps67eed760.jpg)
The week started at a car & air show at Owls Head Transportation Museum. I posted a bunch of pics of the '41 Stearman biplane ride in another thread so here's a few others:
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/1941%20Stearman%20Biplane/20130707_123537_zpsfe081792.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130707_115657_zps7ed44297.jpg)
I forget what this is but it's pretty neat. It was parked across from me most of the day until it was time to fly. It must require a certain type of individual to take to the skies in this thing:
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130707_115645_zps170ee54e.jpg)
Next up it was time for some lobsters so I checked out the fisherman's co-op in Christmas Cove. This whole area is littered with quaint little fishing villages with an atmosphere right out of the '50's, so long as you can avoid the snooty people from "away" who are slowly but steadily taking over as property values soar beyond what the locals can afford.
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130711_185607_zps75246d87.jpg)
The guy selling the lobsters eyed my Jeep and started telling me about a '47 2A his father restored, which he was happy to show me as his father lived just down the street. The father was a mechanic as far back as the '40's and I was shocked to see the collection of vintage iron tucked away in his little ramshackle garage. He proudly led me through the collection and gave me the history of each one. So very cool to listen to this guy. He must have been well into his '80's and had lived in that same house for 60 years wrenching on old cars. A true "old timer" and a real treat to listen to. Among his goodies:
'54 Ford F100 - 10k original mile, unrestored, survivor
'32 Hupmobile
'49 Hudson
'74 Torino
'17 Model T
There was also a mess of bicycles, toys, parts, a snowmobile, a mini Model T and a bunch of other neat old relics. The garage was pretty cluttered so pics were tough to take but you'll get the idea:
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130711_192254_zpse54a7375.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130711_191936_zpsf1308a8f.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130711_192340_zps2c34e7f1.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130711_192436_zps79e3e386.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130711_192539_zpseb5302fd.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130711_192321_zps5ea61d42.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130711_192030_zps1059fbd8.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130711_193036_zps5faf68e5.jpg)
Next stop was a narrow gauge railroad museum. Yes, I like trains, but I knew they had a '46 2A on display which was the real motivation to make the 30 mile trek down to check things out.
Here we are with a fully functional narrow gauge steam locomotive:
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130712_103627_zps889f9920.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130712_100554_zpsa4210b90.jpg)
And then the '2A that I really came to see:
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130712_101951_zps8e0ef6fe.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130712_101959_zps1aedad76.jpg)
-
As an added bonus they also had a '50 Jeepster and a '41 Willys Americar. Good stuff.
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130712_102015_zps9c0fda23.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130712_102026_zpsd491d0bc.jpg)
Here's a few other stops I made during the week. This old ice shack houses ice that is cut from the pond behind it. The ice is packed in straw and sawdust and used to be shipped around the world prior to the days of refrigeration. The ice house continues to operate today but more for nostalgic purposes than anything. The barn was still half full of ice that was cut back in February.
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130711_174908_zps6d62b59c.jpg)
A few more shots from Christmas Cove. The first couple are waiting for a swing bridge to close. There's a guy in that little shack that swings the bridge open every time a lobster boat needs to get in or out of the harbor:
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130712_145413_zps4156a039.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130712_145308_zpsca35c7ae.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130711_170102_zps5ce1130b.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130711_174010_zps28e96926.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130711_170234_zpsf2c4286d.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130711_185714_zps20882282.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130711_185641_zps7cb3633e.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130711_173629_zps6556fe06.jpg)
So next time you're on vacation don't forget to take your Jeep. It's a lot more fun than sitting on the beach.
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/South%20Bristol%20July%202013/20130712_110522_zpsef2356a5.jpg)
-
Cool stuff, Thanks for sharing :)
-
Wow!!! Really great pics. Thanks for sharing your fabulous vacation.
-
That's great stuff Ryan. Looks like the kind of vacation I would enjoy...a little bit of everything.
Like you, I have found the Willys Jeeps to be great conversation starters.
Tim
-
That old Jeep is really getting around now, isn't it. Those are great pics that I am sure your great grandfather would have enjoyed. :-)
-
Very Nice Photo Spread....Thanks for sharing. What a beautiful area!
-
Ryan,
Where did you get the front rubber floor mat for your Jeep? It looks like it really fits well and lays down nice with little or no buckling.
George
-
Oooops, that was in the showroom!
Sorry
-
Ryan,
Where did you get the front rubber floor mat for your Jeep? It looks like it really fits well and lays down nice with little or no buckling.
George
Good eye. I hadn't paid much attention to that mat. On a higher res view it appears to be a 1 piece mat with "Jeep" on each the drivers and passenger side floor. I have no idea what its origin is.
-
cool thread. awesome looking cabin!