My Willys 3A and 3B Community
Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc. => Willys photo and story threads... => Topic started by: Carls_jeep on September 19, 2014, 12:35:41 PM
-
While driving a county road looking for trails I found this dugway that has not been used in years. I got Arlin to go with me for safety and that he likes dugways that have not been traveled in years. I took videos with my GoPro and my camera and here is a camera video. the trail was a little hard to travel and sometimes hard to find but it was a really good trail.
Arlin was leading the way in this video and you can see his tracks on the ground. All the way down the trail we found no other tracks ahead of us. Sometimes we had to stop and walk around looking for the trail. It was about 2 miles from start to where we could go no farther. We will take a flight in his 172 to see if the trail goes out to hwy 228, aka, South Cotton Wood road. If we find the trail from the air we will go back and take it from start to finish.
Many of the trails are dead end because they were made in the 1950's for seismograph and core samples and mining. Uranium was big back then.
(http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/yeathatshim/th_P9180001_zpsb5e6f69a.mp4) (http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/yeathatshim/P9180001_zpsb5e6f69a.mp4)
Most the trails are dead end leading to above ground ruins and bore sites. As I travel along the trails I look for rock mounds that are ancient ruins of the Anasazi and earlier Native Americans.
In the four years I have been here and traveled about 6000 to 8000 miles on trails I have never seen hikers. The environmentalists claim the OHV's interfere with them and destroy the ground. Where are the hikers? Are they home complaining, donating money and writing letters, probably.
The ground erosion they claim on the roads is not there. Most the erosion is across the roads, not down the length of the road. Most of the road damage is caused by washes across the road, not down the length of the road.
-
You guy's find the neatest places to explore. Most of the roads and trails to old mines and such around here that are close to town are now gated and closed to anything but bicycles and hikers.
There are still a few though....
-
In my county in Ky I have two gravel roads and four creeks with fords to cross, hardly worth driving to.
In Utah there are so many trails on the public land I don't have to repeat driving on them for a long time. The more I explore the more I find. Some are to rutted to drive on anymore but most are passable.
I just found another dugway today but it has a deep rut that I may not be able to straddle.
-
cool video. thanks for posting.