My Willys 3A and 3B Community

Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc. => Willys photo and story threads... => Topic started by: johnrb3b on February 04, 2015, 04:36:49 PM

Title: Chicago Weather
Post by: johnrb3b on February 04, 2015, 04:36:49 PM
For those of you who don't live in the snow belt, here's what's been happening in my neck of the woods.
Saturday 31 Jan - 1.3" of snow
Sunday 1 Feb - 16.2"
Monday 2 Feb - 1.8"
Tuesday 3 Feb - 1.6"
Total = 21"
So what?
I had the 3B out pushing snow 6 times - 3 times on Sunday. It snowed about an inch an hour most of the day.
It was wet, heavy snow most of Sunday and my little 1 ton 3B pretty much met its match. Snow would pile up so high in front of the plow that it was hood-high and I'd start losing traction. I would back off and hit the pile to try to move it. That and hitting a couple of curbs, I broke my Bubba plow mount twice. Cobbled back together at 11PM in the dark and cold. Finished after midnight. Not fun. I enjoy pushing snow but that was too much. I should have a 7' blade on my 2 ton Wagon for this kind of snow.
Pictures later.
Title: Re: Chicago Weather
Post by: Ryan_M on February 04, 2015, 06:42:08 PM
We're up to 40" of snow here in the past 10 days alone. It's snowing now and another 12" is possible tonight. It's stretches like these that quell any whimsical fantasy I have of relying solely on a flatfender for snow removal duty. My pickup truck can barely keep up with this mess. 
Title: Re: Chicago Weather
Post by: johnrb3b on February 05, 2015, 10:32:32 AM
Some pictures after the fact.

First pic - note it's still snowing.
Second pic - all done for now - but more to come.
Third pic - 18" hat on garbage cans - another 1.5" the next day.
Fourth pic - busted Bubba plow mount - it's much stronger now.

Title: Re: Chicago Weather
Post by: corpsman on February 12, 2015, 11:45:01 PM
great pics.  thanks for posting them.  I'm from Tennessee, but I was stationed up at Great Lakes back in late 2010 and first half of 2011.  we had a big blizzard that year, and got tons of snow.  that snow lasted forever!  good memories.
Title: Re: Chicago Weather
Post by: johnrb3b on February 13, 2015, 03:50:11 PM
Ah yes, the big snow of Feb 2011.
It wasn't enough to make the top 10 but it still shut down the City.
I work at the airport - security - so I had to be there. My JK had no problem, even with 18" drifts, but everybody else used the snow as an excuse to stay home.
Title: Re: Chicago Weather
Post by: corpsman on February 13, 2015, 04:39:29 PM
I think there turned out to be considerably more snow fall up at Great Lakes.  we had over 3 feet.