My Willys 3A and 3B Community

Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc. => Willys photo and story threads... => Topic started by: calvinhunt on October 12, 2014, 10:43:50 AM

Title: Back into Arch Canyon
Post by: calvinhunt on October 12, 2014, 10:43:50 AM
[size=12]Today's line-up: Carl (KY) and Bob (CO)

(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Jeep%20Arch%20Canyon%20Bob/IMG_3973.jpg)


Heading out.� I left my Jeep home rather than drive alone and have Carl drive alone.

(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Jeep%20Arch%20Canyon%20Bob/IMG_3919.jpg)


Bob's following.� You can see that a flash flood from a recent desert rainstorm has laid the grasses down.� This canyon is the drainage for an 8000 square mile area of Southern Utah.

(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Jeep%20Arch%20Canyon%20Bob/IMG_3916.jpg)


A muddy bottom with a sandy bank is giving Carl some trouble.

(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Jeep%20Arch%20Canyon%20Bob/IMG_3932.jpg)


(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Jeep%20Arch%20Canyon%20Bob/IMG_3934.jpg)


Trying a new angle.

(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Jeep%20Arch%20Canyon%20Bob/IMG_3937.jpg)[/size]


[size=12]Worked for Carl so Bob will try that route.  Sand was too soft...and, Carl has lockers.

(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Jeep%20Arch%20Canyon%20Bob/IMG_3943.jpg)


Notice how high the driftwood is (I mean the drift logs on the rocks to the right).

(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Jeep%20Arch%20Canyon%20Bob/IMG_3947.jpg)


Trails end.� A good place to have lunch.

(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Jeep%20Arch%20Canyon%20Bob/IMG_3959.jpg)


Heading back after lunch.� Bob asked me to drive his jeep back out.� I enjoyed that.

(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Jeep%20Arch%20Canyon%20Bob/IMG_3967.jpg)



Beautiful day.

(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Jeep%20Arch%20Canyon%20Bob/IMG_3968.jpg)


Back at the trail head there is the largest Cottonwood Tree I've ever seen.

(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Jeep%20Arch%20Canyon%20Bob/IMG_3977.jpg)


[/size]
Title: Re: Back into Arch Canyon
Post by: Carls_jeep on October 12, 2014, 12:28:26 PM
A Jeep is 57 1/4" wide so that will give some idea as to the width of the tree. It's a huge tree.

The trail changes every year depending on the rain falls. A heavy rain will completely change the trail and the stream path down the canyon. I think it is worse this year than the last time I was in the canyon. It was a challenge and a lot of fun to me.
Title: Re: Back into Arch Canyon
Post by: corpsman on February 13, 2015, 12:00:31 AM
awesome!  thanks for posting the pictures!