My Willys 3A and 3B Community
Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc. => Willys photo and story threads... => Topic started by: Flyingfish on February 01, 2013, 06:08:38 AM
-
Hi
I have moved my previous posting under the 'introduce yourself' part (http://cj3apage.com/forum-yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1355136246).
Made some progress on the build. Posting pics here on the 3A page from work is slow so I created a Photobucket account and will always add the link when I update on the 3A page.
The front cowl panels are part way complete (no side step, decided to add that later, just easier for the making of the forming blocks).
Both the left and right main side panels are now on the go, still plenty to do but at least they look like something now and not just bits of flat sheetmetal in red oxide (the whole sheet was primered before �I even started, I have very damp hands, my son as well that do and will mess up untreated mild steel, brass, copper and some more, gloves are always a must, really a pain working on airplanes over the years with sweaty hands).
Heres the link for the most recent photos, the last 6 were taken last night: Looking at the bucket page it would appear they go from newest and to oldest.
http://s1273.beta.photobucket.com/user/Flyingfish551/library/
The black oxygen bottle in the back ground I am going to cut open this week end, it will make a nice forming dolly for the side panels and other projects. There is a smaller one as well that must cut up for a dolly but it is just so well hidden at the moment.
For now that's it.
M & J
-
Wow, very nice!
-
Again, what a great project. Thanks for the photos of the new parts. Good luck with your project. Please keep us updated.
-
Hi to all
Finally I got the photo uploading thing right. �
I have been busy on my project but other duties at home come first as per SOP.
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/FLYINGFISH551%20HALF%20SCALE%20CJ-2A/a113JAN2013_zps9d3e3839.jpg)
I don't make a good subject, but this is the start.
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/FLYINGFISH551%20HALF%20SCALE%20CJ-2A/a513JAN2013_zps003bd275.jpg)
The cheif engineer & QA
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/FLYINGFISH551%20HALF%20SCALE%20CJ-2A/a922JAN2013_zpse24f8572.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/FLYINGFISH551%20HALF%20SCALE%20CJ-2A/a1322JAN2013_zpscd9e8184.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/FLYINGFISH551%20HALF%20SCALE%20CJ-2A/a1222JAN2013_zps1c7a2624.jpg)
Right hand cowl panel taking shape
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/FLYINGFISH551%20HALF%20SCALE%20CJ-2A/a1926JAN2013_zps6564919f.jpg)
Side panel forming blocks taking shape.
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/FLYINGFISH551%20HALF%20SCALE%20CJ-2A/a3329Jan2013_zpsaffdae25.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/FLYINGFISH551%20HALF%20SCALE%20CJ-2A/a3029Jan2013_zpsd916b9ea.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/FLYINGFISH551%20HALF%20SCALE%20CJ-2A/a3731JAN2013_zpsb2a6d02a.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/FLYINGFISH551%20HALF%20SCALE%20CJ-2A/b1303FEB2013_zpsd5a56a1f.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/FLYINGFISH551%20HALF%20SCALE%20CJ-2A/b1203FEB2013_zps918a332e.jpg)
Looking like something now.
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/FLYINGFISH551%20HALF%20SCALE%20CJ-2A/b1718FEB2013_zpsc5646b80.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/FLYINGFISH551%20HALF%20SCALE%20CJ-2A/b2018FEB2013_zps82ecffbb.jpg)
Right cowl panel with drain hole/slot formed. Just a basic forming tool made for the job.
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/FLYINGFISH551%20HALF%20SCALE%20CJ-2A/b2118FEB2013_zpsffbbfc6f.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/FLYINGFISH551%20HALF%20SCALE%20CJ-2A/b2218FEB2013_zpsa33a464b.jpg)
Cowl support brackets made up. The holes are not quite correct, may still redo these.
Thats it for, thanks for having a look and a great site.
-
All I've got to say is WOW!! :o Those panels look great. How about when you're done, you make me a few full sized panels?? I can really use them for my most recent 3A.
Again, excellent work. Nice to have a little helper and a dog close by too! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Tim
-
I have to agree with Tim, "Wow". Thanks for the update. Really looking good.
-
Hi
Not done much since the last post, been a little sick and then to top that I lost my job 2 weeks ago and have not seen pay since mid January. First time in 25 years of working I have been without a job.
But none the less I can still work at home on my build until I run out of material and or money.
Since my last post I have completed the side steps and started the front cowl panel step, for which is now well on its way to looking like something.
Two weeks ago I went to measure up some more parts on the CJ-2A I have unlimited access to (or as my wife calls her, my mistress).
My build may look a little confused and jumping about but there is method to my madness, normally. �
The side step took some time to make as I have not done any tuck shrinking in a very long time, but got the hang of it again. The steps have been assembled with standard airplane fasteners but once painted the rivet heads look alright and like spot welds. Most of the build will be put together in this manner. The forming tools are pretty basic but they work, should I build another 1/2 jeep the tools will be improved on, drawings have been done for all. �
The step on the side cowl panel will be welded once I complete both. �
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/c410MARCH2013_zps07dccebb.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/c1419MARCH2013_zps4dd39a62.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/c510MARCH2013_zps6a65a693.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/c1719MARCH2013_zps88e6114b.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/c2019MARCH2013_zps5898810a.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/c2420MARCH2013_zps43c7dfd5.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/c2620MARCH2013_zps977b6ad0.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/c2720MARCH2013_zpsfb4d4555.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/c2924MARCH2013_zps00466929.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/c3624MARCH2013_zpsdd688106.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/c3524MARCH2013_zps64d4a8f8.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/c3724MARCH2013_zps43c2bc3c.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/c4124MARCH2013_zps2dce7b10.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/c4224MARCH2013_zpsaca75abf.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/c4524MARCH2013_zpsc53024ad.jpg)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/c4324MARCH2013_zpsc6ad4c96.jpg)
Thats it for now,
Marc & Jarred
-
Flyingfish,
Really good to see another update.
I'm curious to know what the fabricated hat channel with three nutplates riveted under each step will be used for?
-
Hello calvinhunt
Answer to your question. The 3 nut-plates in airplane terminology, are floating anchor nuts, for 10/32 screws or bolts. The part number I would have to look up. As a rule I taught myself never to remember part numbers, they change or have alternates !!
I went this way as I would like to keep most of the fasteners a standard size throughout the build and this ensures no metric stuff ends up used as well, nothing wrong with metric (every thing in SA is metric) but having worked on airplanes all my life this makes more sense.
The small section of hat channel (top hat section) is the part spot welded or plug welded under the step which attaches the long arm/support brace: http://www.cj3apage.com/index/My_1950/installing_original_steps/DSC03828.JPG � from the step to the frame (chassis, over here) I decided not to go the stud method: http://www.cj3apage.com/index/My_1950/installing_original_steps/DSC03782.JPG � as I had anchor nuts on hand already and as a per SOP with studs protruding this out I will always catch my hand or arm on them. .
http://www.cj3apage.com/index/My_1950/installing_original_steps.htm �Thanks for the lovely article and great rebuild done here.
I just don't want to end writing a manual and boring (for me more is better, airplanes again, old habits die hard) all the CJ3A members and folks, so I think captioning the photos may also be nice.
Until later
-
Reading some more on the site and found this Calvihunt;
http://cj3apage.com/forum-yabb/Attachments/NOS_Side_Steps_Photo_4.JPG
http://cj3apage.com/forum-yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1361753401/15
-
Flyingfish,
Thanks for your answer. I saw Uncle_Vin's post too. I still have not seen what the studs in the NOS or nutplates in your own manufactured steps attach or secure.
-
Hi Calvinhunt
The long arm/support brace as seen in the top of following photo; �http://www.cj3apage.com/index/My_1950/installing_original_steps/DSC03824.JPG
If you look at the lower side of the step in the above photo, the nice clean black area is the bit where the studs are located and the long arm/support brace attaches to and this then to the frame/chassis; http://www.cj3apage.com/index/My_1950/installing_original_steps/StepChabotRight.JPG
All assembled it should look like this; http://www.cj3apage.com/index/My_1950/installing_original_steps/DSC02407.JPG
The following link courtsy of the CJ2A page shows a drawing from an Service Bulletin for the fitting of the side steps;
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab191/rocketeer_2010/Jeep/Origin8.jpg
All can be seen at ; http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/mounting-side-steps_topic20520.html
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/side-steps-bracket-drawings_topic4132.html
Thanks to the guys at the CJ2A page for the above.
Hope this helps out.
-
Fly,
I'm sorry to hear about your job loss. Hopefully, you'll find good work soon. You've clearly got skills!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
-
Hi Calvinhunt
Thanks to the guys at the CJ2A page for the above.
Hope this helps out.
It helped me a lot. I have been around Jeeps all my long life and have never seen a Jeep around here, new or old, that had steps installed. After reading all the links you provided I now feel like I'm an authority I steps. Thanks for your detailed info.
And like Hawk posted, we're all hoping for you to regain desirable employment soon.
-
Hi All
Been a while since my last post, only two pics for now. My wireless connection is to slow tonight.
Some parts already made up.
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/d2307APRIL2013_zps5dc1f7d8.jpg) (http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/Flyingfish551/media/d2307APRIL2013_zps5dc1f7d8.jpg.html)
(http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y418/Flyingfish551/d2207APRIL2013_zps5c03ee2f.jpg) (http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/Flyingfish551/media/d2207APRIL2013_zps5c03ee2f.jpg.html)
I will add more updates over the week end.
Cheers for now.
Marc
-
Flyingfish,
So good to hear from you again. Great progress. Fun project to follow. Thanks for sharing. We are looking to the next photos.
-
Any progress? Is it done?
-
wow... that's very interesting! awesome craftsmanship. keep up the good work!