My Willys 3A and 3B Community
Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc. => Willys photo and story threads... => Topic started by: calvinhunt on September 03, 2014, 12:28:23 AM
-
Our Labor Day trip begins on an old road just a few miles west of town.
(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Fable%20Valley/IMG_3788.jpg)
Soon we climbed into the forests of the high country.� Carl's studying the map (I don't think he trust me).
(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Fable%20Valley/IMG_3789.jpg)
We are still climbing for the high mountain plateaus (Carl is still reading the map).
(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Fable%20Valley/IMG_3791.jpg)
Beware of the dangerous wildlife!
(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Fable%20Valley/IMG_3798.jpg)
Across the open spaces of the high plateaus.
(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Fable%20Valley/IMG_3801.jpg)
Not a cloud in the sky.� On such hot sunny days we always wear long-sleeved white shirts.
(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Fable%20Valley/IMG_3806.jpg)
After having hiked 3 miles down into Fable Valley, explored there for a couple of hours, and hiked the 3 miles back up to our Jeeps, we're heading for home.
(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Fable%20Valley/IMG_3807.jpg)
Working our way up and over a fun spot in the trail.� A camera just can't captivate how steep the slope is.�
(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Fable%20Valley/IMG_3810.jpg)
Pretty good articulation for a stock suspension.
(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Fable%20Valley/IMG_3813.jpg)
Carl's turn.
(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Fable%20Valley/IMG_3818.jpg)
Once on top we brag to each other of our climbing skills.
(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Fable%20Valley/IMG_3821.jpg)
With lengthening shadows we've still got 2 1/2 hours of trail ride to get back home.
(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo336/calvinhunt/Fable%20Valley/IMG_3823.jpg)
-
Thanks for sharing your pics with us. Nice to see Carl made it out here again. As I always say, someday I want to get down there. :)
-
WOW I really loved this, thank you for sharing!!!!! :D
-
I don't have internet in the RV park I am staying and have to go to Calvin's or Shelby's laundromat to get online.
Here is a photo of the scene on the way to Fable Valley.
(http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/yeathatshim/P9010003_zps1efbb640.jpg) (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/yeathatshim/media/P9010003_zps1efbb640.jpg.html)
I would post some videos of trips but I am using a GoPro camera and the videos are long and I think they will time out using photobucket. I may see what I can do using Utube.
We left home at 10A and got back at 11P. We drove about 130 miles round trip and walked about 7 miles. We got about 14 mpg on the trip. The Valley is a Primitive study site now and few people go down there. It was a tiring trip but a good one.
You may remember that I put a Lock Right in my rear axle and I can tell you it made all the difference climbing hills, rock, sand or dirt. Where I used to spin the tires climbing I now have a solid pull all the way up. On the other trails I have done here this year it really surprised me at the difference it made just having the Lock Right in the rear.
-
Do you guys bring a 5 gal can of fuel with you guys on these long trips?
-
I do all the time plus a shovel, anchor spike, hammer and a tool kit. Then there is my trail bag of camera, spot, gun, glasses, field glasses, GoPro, water and sometimes food.
Here's a short clip Arlin took of us in Lost Valley.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExccOyOIur0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
-
Great pics! Thank for sharing.