My Willys 3A and 3B Community
Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc. => Willys photo and story threads... => Topic started by: Ryan_M on February 01, 2014, 02:25:17 PM
-
I took the M38 out on the lake today for the first time. I'm uneasy on ice under any circumstances, especially in something with an enclosed cab. At least with my topless 3A, figure I could wear my wet suit and a life jacket and have half a chance for survival if the Jeep should fall through - I'd just bob around at the surface and eventually pull myself out. In the M38, any chance of escape would be a little more complex. I'd have to hope it rolled completely over so I could swim out through the holes in the floor boards.
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1639_zpsf3859ef9.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1641_zpsa8937c94.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1668_zpsb90129ef.jpg)
Anyways, while I was cruising around I met an ice fisherman on the lake who flagged me over. Long story a little less long, he told me about a "Jitterbug" he had with a Willys drivetrain. I'm not sure if "Jitterbug" is a term known globally or just by a certain die-hard breed of rednecks up here in the Maine woods. Pretty much, a jitterbug is any vehicle cobbled together from bits and pieces of other vehicles (or other scavenged materials of any type) to be used, sort of, as a tractor. They started with Model T's back in the day but now you see them made from just about anything .This one was made from a scavenged Willys.
Intrigued, the fisherman gave me directions to his house just off the north end of the lake so I set out to find it. Here's what I saw. L-134, T-90A, D-18?, dana axles? Willys frame cut and lengthened....a real piece of work:
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1665_zps6ec7c008.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1655_zpsc73d2533.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1647_zps48ab409f.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1664_zps031c5708.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1656_zps153e4c5b.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1657_zpsd7ecfef1.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1650_zps6981ba8c.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1648_zps9e0e1b62.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1660_zps89588713.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1645_zps5ec9bf8c.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1659_zpse8f5d617.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1646_zpsc2a9f500.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1651_zps0e55fc8c.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1661_zpsa1daca79.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1663_zps8a3c9293.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1653_zpsd17ef135.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1654_zps7fdbc4e1.jpg)
This rig is slated to be hauled for scrap and I could buy it for scrap value. I'm told the motor runs and holds 50-60psi but who knows. I'm not sure I even want to deal with the logistics of dragging it home but I hate to see it scrapped out. The block is stamped GPW. Aside from being a supposed running motor, does the fact that it's a GPW engine make it anything special? Does anyone see any real value anywhere?
-
As long as that block isn't cracked, buy it. Get it to run, and you've got a heck of a parade jeep.
Seriously, a GPW engine is a valuable thing, and any flathead is worth the price of admission . PM Bruce W with the numbers, he might want it.. Heck, If it matched one of mine, I'd want it!! Looks like maybe an industrial manifold with an adapter or the remains of the governor in there...
I'd grab it and try to get it running, then part out the whole thing when you know the basic condition of everything.
Nice pictures, reminds me of Ice racing days in Pittsfield MA ...My last time on the lake my Ramcharger went thru the ice while plowing....Only one� wheel, so we got it out without drama. But later the wheel bearing failed and I had to be dragged off the lake.
Around upstate NY those were known as Doodlebugs.
-
FBill - I kept you and your "wheel through the ice" in mind today as I cruised the lake again today. I tried to keep the speed up in hopes of skipping right over those ice fishing holes instead of sinking into one of them.
I returned to visit the jitterbug (aka doodlebug) guy today and set the wheels in motion for me to get it. If not the whole thing, then at least the motor, trans, and TC. I have no idea what the time frame will be. Possibly later this week or possibly never. You can't be sure how this stuff will play out.
Regardless, I clocked over 35 lake miles this weekend which was pretty fun. That does not include the 4 mile shortcut across the lake I took with my truck first thing this morning. It reduced what is normally a 20 minute trip to 5 minutes. :D
Here's a couple more visual aids....
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1690_zps25f4a924.jpg)
[media]http://youtu.be/ZI2G6ZgJx2s[/media]
-
In the tractor world, doodlebug is the universal name for any tractor-like thing cobbled together from tractor, truck, Jeep, whatever parts.
Go to utube and search on doodlebug. You'll find quite a few hilarious looking vehicles.
-
Operation Doodlebug was a success. The 4 mile trek across the lake this morning went as well as could be expected. Mother Nature cooperated with a night of subzero temps in her gracious effort to firm up the ice as best she could.
Although I couldn't spend a lot of time pawing over it this morning (the urge to call in sick from work was extremely fierce) I did pop the oil filter off and found what I think is serial number "567305" stamped into the block. Can anyone shed some light on the history of the motor based on that number?
The distributor is an IAD 4008 which I think is correct and I've included some pics of the axles here. I am not familiar enough with GPW hardware to know if these are right or if they've been Bubba'd up. Is there anything else right off that I should be looking for? I'm in uncharted territory here.
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1720_zpsb9712933.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1718_zps96268873.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1717_zps935e09f2.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1743_zps0aa10b05.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1728_zpsf429f768.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1729_zpse7eacd36.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1733_zpscb19b3a4.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1735_zpsf0e478a8.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1736_zps94349497.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1740_zpsd4289dc2.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1742_zps629ed1d0.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1741_zps0bf5b074.jpg)
-
So you decided to get the whole thing, eh? Good deal.
Is there a GPW in front of that number under the blue paint.??
The GPW axle housing should have a GPW or GPA casting number somewhere visible from the front. You probably already know to look for F marks. If you have the time to dismantle and clean stuff up you might have an Ebay Gold mine there.
And I thought the freezing rain and wind down here was cold.. Brrrrrr.!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
-
Bill - No "GPW" prefix on the serial number. Too cold and dark to go looking any closer at the axles tonight. That stuff may have to wait until the weekend. I'm hoping then to pull it in the garage and see if it'll start.
-
One of the positive things about junk vehicles is not having to worry about being overly careful with regards to their outward appearance. Scratches and minor (or even major) dents are no cause for concern.� Can't push the thing into the garage on your own? No problem. Hook up the plow and give 'er a good shove.
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1758_zps33a96fc0.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1759_zpsd690eec8.jpg)
After I was able to chip away most of the permafrost I got down to the real business. The PO had installed an electric fuel pump after the existing mechanical one died. A few quick tests determined that the electric one had� now followed in its predecessor's footsteps and also given up the ghost.� Luckily, I had a spare mechanical one that I bolted on and replumbed with the existing crusty fuel lines.
The distributor innards also need some TLC but instead of tediously replacing points etc I unceremoniously robbed the distributor from my 3A and swapped it out. That's the primary reason we have multiple Jeeps, right? They are all potential parts donors depending on the project at hand.
A little fiddling here and there and I soon got it to fire and run. Not bad, considering four days ago I dragged this thing out from under a tree and across a frozen lake. A running motor means immediate test drive, even if it is after 10pm and it's 5 degrees and I have no light except for the moon. 2WD, 4WD, and all gears works as they should. The brake pedal(awkwardly installed to the right of the gas "pedal", which is no more than a bent rod) is connected directly to the emergency brake. Creative, if nothing else.
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1789_zps2bb9a075.jpg)
Here's a quick video from further "testing" this morning. It was -3 degrees here...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCmclBqMMF4[/media]
[media]http://youtu.be/XjruFz14PrQ[/media]
-
Now that is one cool video. I like how you got both ends to spin, we now know the transfer case and front axle are operable.
Ok, time to add a nice long body and troop seating. We will expect to see the jeep in Colorado giving tours soon. :D
-
Amazing. Running in two days. And if the appearance of the engine doesn't convince one that it's an L134, it sure has the sound. Nice work.
-
That is AWESOME!!
Don't drive it down to show the PO. He'll probably want it back! ;D
Tim
-
Leave it long, put some tracks on it and seating for 6 and you have a troop carrier just as has been suggested. They actually did experiment with a tracked jeep. Already got a name for it "Half Squad" Really neat video of that vehicle. It would be called a buggy or stump jumper down here in Florida
-
For such a relic the motor seems to be in pretty good shape. It has better compression than my shiny 3A :D
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN1793_zps6533adb0.jpg)
-
I wonder how many of those were hauled off for scrap. That is an incredible engine, that strong of an engine can't stay on that frame. About time to get JeffM moving on a project...
-
About time to get JeffM moving on a project...
I would much rather have seen this motor shipped off to Jeff_M for a project but it has found a good home elsewhere.
Tonight began the prep to ready it for its long trip across the ocean.
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN2088_zps8d40ed8c.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN2102_zps5b7ba370.jpg)
This weekend it'll be strapped to that pallet sitting behind it and off it goes.
I pulled the tranny an transfer case too. I'm still curious about the frame and the axles. Can anyone tell what this front axle is and maybe what the frame started out as? That bell crank bracket has got to be easy to identify if you know what you're looking at. I do not. Any value here?
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN2092_zps22f59e6d.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN2091_zpsfb838524.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN2093_zps668633f2.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN2098_zpsbc5ac8e2.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN2090_zps9c2b9bf1.jpg)
Even if the frame horns are worth cutting off and parting out I'll do it. Still hellbent to preserve as much useful stuff as I can so others can finish projects and I can continue to fund mine� :D
-
About time to get JeffM moving on a project...
"Living vicariously" works just fine for me.
Looks like a rear end there that could be crying out for a rebuild. :-)
-
Looks like an early CJ-5 frame. The bellcrank on the axle would make it MB/GPW.
-
All good things must at some point end. Such is the case with the Doodlebug.
The motor is still strapped to a pallet awaiting shipment to England and the rest of the carcass has been picked as clean as a chicken bone.
Axles removed
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN2110_zps668740be.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN2111_zps052d9c7e.jpg)
Frame cut into manageable sections
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN2112_zps1ad608cd.jpg)
My typical "It looks like a war zone" work area
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN2145_zps94da0855.jpg)
Loaded up and ready for transport
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN2147_zpsa9218eba.jpg)
And all 920 pounds of surplus Doodlebuggery discarded at the scrap yard. A moment of silence and reflection was in order...
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/20140303_073348_zps3723e7ce.jpg)
Steering box, axle components, radiator, locking hubs, '72 Bombardier Skidoo Olympique gas tank� ;D and everything else even remotely worth salvaging has either been sold or is for sale. The T-90 and D-18 both look good and are sitting here awaiting a rainy day project.
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN2398_zpsa372d77d.jpg)
If anyone needs some MB axle parts or housings let me know. I think that's a 3B radiator too.
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN2397_zps562fc216.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN2366_zpsa72da2a2.jpg)
(http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z403/rmurdock2121/Frozen%20Lake%20and%20Jitterbug/DSCN2352_zps742971e6.jpg)
-
Are those tires as nice as they look?
-
Are those tires as nice as they look?
No, I wish. The tread is great but the sides are badly cracked on all of them.
-
The latest chapter on the Doodlebug motor reveals that it has just sold again. This time, in the UK for nearly $4500 (!!!). Quite a journey for this little hunk of iron since being pulled out of a snowbank in the woods a few months ago.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Ford-GPW-Engine-Also-Willys-Jeep-/301230711012?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D301230711012%26_rdc%3D1&nma=true&si=kLtdrgf1G4PiSkIjE2Jsauz2ayU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
-
Amazing....I wonder if it will get shipped back to the States....
-
Wow....that is pretty neat! If I didn't know better, I think the photo of the compression readings looks like an American's handwriting....
-
Wow....that is pretty neat!� If I didn't know better, I think the photo of the compression readings looks like an American's handwriting....
Haha...A "Crazy American" at that ;D
-
Quite a journey for this little hunk of iron since being pulled out of a snowbank in the woods a few months ago.
Not to mention surviving a drag across a frozen lake.