My Willys 3A and 3B Community
Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc. => Willys photo and story threads... => Topic started by: gmcjr on April 30, 2013, 09:50:59 PM
-
Finally had the chance to break away and do a little camping and jeep driving. We (me and the dog) took a 130 mile round trip to the Caddo Grasslands in N.E. Texas, all secondary and county roads. It's amazing the different stuff you notice when you leave the beating path. Too bad we could only stay one night.
Lesson learned: Always consult a up to date map.....it will save time and embarrassment.....GPS, WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING GPS!!!!! HAHA
The campsite......
(http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o794/gmcjr1982/1367369357_zpsf2550e4b.jpg) (http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/gmcjr1982/media/1367369357_zpsf2550e4b.jpg.html)
The little trailer earned its keep!
(http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o794/gmcjr1982/1367369402_zps1d4abf94.jpg) (http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/gmcjr1982/media/1367369402_zps1d4abf94.jpg.html)
Back home.......
(http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o794/gmcjr1982/1b498bc0-5f04-4975-b95b-c8a0d34f6f9b_zpsfcb94f66.jpg) (http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/gmcjr1982/media/1b498bc0-5f04-4975-b95b-c8a0d34f6f9b_zpsfcb94f66.jpg.html)
-
Looks like a fun time!
-
Thanks for the story and photos, Gary. I also enjoy doing that kind of thing. When I get my Willys done, hopefully this summer, I plan on making a few one or two nighters. I enjoy camping by a trout stream. I don't have a trailer yet, but I am keeping my eyes open. Thanks again for the inspiration.
George
-
Hey Gary, was your back side worn out after that 65 mile one way trip? I have a stiff behind after 20 miles. I usually have to stop and shake it out.
Thanks for posting the photos! I think I've mentioned this before, but I sure do like your trailer.
Tim
-
Gary,
That's really a great report. It really makes me anxious to get out again too. I'm planning drives and trail rides for this summer. I hope to give you a run for your money. Thanks for the post.
-
Thanks for all the comments! I hope to go again before its gets really hot.
Tim, it wasn't as bad as I would've thought :). On the way to there, it took 3 hours on account of my old map and my pea size brain (some of the county roads I was looking for have been replaced by a 4 lane highway) I stopped and ate a sandwich. Coming home was quicker, drove non stop. My seat cushions are homemade, I put a stiff foam on bottom and a layer of soft foam on top before I put on the seat cover. That helped a lot.
-
Hey there Gary, I know Texas dogs are pretty tough but from the looks of the line you have on yours he must be pretty stout ;). Thanks for the post and the pictures. I was going to get out of the big thicket and check out the blue bonnets up toward College Station but it looks like I missed them AGAIN. Driving along an old Texas blacktop farm to market when the blue bonnets, Indian paint brushes and Indian blankets are all blooming together has to be seen to be believed.
-
Hey there Gary, I know Texas dogs are pretty tough but from the looks of the line you have on yours he must be pretty stout �;). �
Naw, she's only six months old and a big baby, the big rope is so she won't chew through it as easy haha!
�Thanks for the post and the pictures. �I was going to get out of the big thicket and check out the blue bonnets up toward College Station but it looks like I missed them AGAIN. �Driving along an old Texas blacktop farm to market when the blue bonnets, Indian paint brushes and Indian blankets are all blooming together has to be seen to be believed. �
Your welcome! �When the wild flowers are in bloom, it is a sight to behold!
They've been blooming up here by the red river, but with all this screw ball weather, it seems to have affected them,