My Willys 3A and 3B Community

Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc. => Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc... => Topic started by: p3ferris on April 25, 2015, 11:25:45 AM

Title: Trail welding
Post by: p3ferris on April 25, 2015, 11:25:45 AM
http://speedsociety.com/welding-diy-with-jumper-cables-and-a-pair-of-batteries/
Title: Re: Trail welding
Post by: bretto on April 25, 2015, 01:21:11 PM
Batteries weld wrenches when you accidently touch both post.
 [smiley=embarassed.gif]
Title: Re: Trail welding
Post by: Bob W on April 25, 2015, 08:06:39 PM
I've actually tried this to see how good it works. It's not real hot, but it does weld. I think 3 batteries would work good. I carry welding rods, a welding face shield, jumper cables, and an electrode holder/cable/battery clamp in my off-road Jeep for field repairs.
Title: Re: Trail welding
Post by: Ryan_M on April 26, 2015, 07:39:02 AM
And here I went and needlessly blew all kinds of money on a mig welder last year....
Title: Re: Trail welding
Post by: duffer on April 27, 2015, 11:41:43 AM
Quote
I've actually tried this to see how good it works. It's not real hot, but it does weld. I think 3 batteries would work good. I carry welding rods, a welding face shield, jumper cables, and an electrode holder/cable/battery clamp in my off-road Jeep for field repairs.

Yep, sort of works but a real one works soooooo much better.
In fact so much better that they can be used in the shop.

(https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2849/9671173973_153bf5954f_b.jpg)