My Willys 3A and 3B Community

Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc. => Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc... => Topic started by: corpsman on March 29, 2015, 11:52:53 PM

Title: what is your favorite winch for a Jeep?
Post by: corpsman on March 29, 2015, 11:52:53 PM
if you're like me, you love winches.� but...� what is your favorite and why?� I have several...� they are all Warn:� M4500, M6000, M8000...� but my favorite, especially for an old Jeep, is the Warn 8274.� I currently have 2 of these, but I would like to have 2 or 3 more.� do I need them?� no..� but I like them.� they may not nestle in between the bumper and grill like the M series, but they make up for it in reliability, and cool nostalgic looks.� they also have a killer fast line speed, and hold 150' of 5/16" cable, which is awesome.� I also love to hear those clicks when the brake assembly is turning during winch operation.� I actually got my 2nd 8274 yesterday.� by the way, if anyone has any 8274 parts winches or spare parts, let me know.� the image below is the one I acquired yesterday.
Title: Re: what is your favorite winch for a Jeep?
Post by: garage gnome on March 31, 2015, 05:45:26 AM
I have an 8274 on The Jalopy. I blew up the gear on the motor several years ago and I had to replace the motor and gear with the improved spline shaft one. The old one was a keyway. These are the best winches on the market.
Title: Re: what is your favorite winch for a Jeep?
Post by: dat on April 02, 2015, 03:17:18 PM
 a pair of come-a-longs, slow but effective�


a friend of mine had a hand operated winch on his jeep,  I don't know what kind, but it worked well, had a large drum and a ratchet system with a removable lever,  I would actually like to find one of those
Title: Re: what is your favorite winch for a Jeep?
Post by: corpsman on April 02, 2015, 09:18:45 PM
bought another one today...  M8000
Title: Re: what is your favorite winch for a Jeep?
Post by: Ryan_289 on April 02, 2015, 10:05:48 PM
I've got an 8274 sitting in the floor of the shop. How do yall have them mounted?
Title: Re: what is your favorite winch for a Jeep?
Post by: garage gnome on April 03, 2015, 07:37:06 AM
Quote
bought another one today...� M8000

(http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/willyscjmj/The%20Jalopy/26D26AF2-A0A5-46B8-A586-39976855F168_1.jpg) (http://s748.photobucket.com/user/willyscjmj/media/The%20Jalopy/26D26AF2-A0A5-46B8-A586-39976855F168_1.jpg.html)
Title: Re: what is your favorite winch for a Jeep?
Post by: corpsman on April 09, 2015, 09:03:56 PM
Quote
I've got an 8274 sitting in the floor of the shop. How do yall have them mounted?
currently, I don't have mine on a jeep.  when I finish my restoration, I will make a mount and put one of the 8274s on.
Title: Re: what is your favorite winch for a Jeep?
Post by: corpsman on April 18, 2015, 01:05:01 AM
well, i added another 8274 to the collection today.  it was too good of a deal to pass up.  bought it from a friend at work.
Title: Re: what is your favorite winch for a Jeep?
Post by: bretto on April 18, 2015, 08:03:13 AM
How much do one of those things go for roughly?  I love their look.

While slow and sometimes cumbersome, my simple hi-lift has gotten me out of stuff just fine but it would be nice to have the ease of a winch.
Title: Re: what is your favorite winch for a Jeep?
Post by: corpsman on April 18, 2015, 07:36:32 PM
well, a new 8274 is crazy expensive.  they run about $1900.  I would never pay that much for a winch.  you can get a good used one from between $500-$800, unless you get lucky, of course.  you can get a Warn M series for less money, and they are a great, reliable winch also.  they just don't hold as much cable, and the line speed isn't as fast.  I paid $300 for the used M8000 I got the other day, and it came with the winch plate, roller fairlead, and remote.  it was used, but it great shape.  I think you can buy a new M8000 for around $600.
Title: Re: what is your favorite winch for a Jeep?
Post by: Carls_jeep on April 21, 2015, 04:05:38 PM
My favorite is what ever works and is reasonably priced. That is why I have a 5000 lb Badlands winch from Horrible Freight. It fits easily between bumper and grill and works like the devil to pull me out. Have used it a lot and it never has failed to do the job.
Title: Re: what is your favorite winch for a Jeep?
Post by: corpsman on April 21, 2015, 10:09:22 PM
obviously, I know they're priced good, but I haven't had any experience with them at all.  glad to hear that it's worked out good for you.
Title: Re: what is your favorite winch for a Jeep?
Post by: corpsman on April 26, 2015, 07:50:09 PM
in the words of Brittany Spears...  oops, I did it again.  it was too good of a deal to pass up.  had an 8 hour round trip drive to pic it up, but it was worth it.  I wouldn't have done anything better with my Sunday, anyway.  got the guy to throw in a Ramsey RE8000 with a bad motor for an extra $25.