My Willys 3A and 3B Community
Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc. => Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc... => Topic started by: JeepFever on February 11, 2015, 11:45:43 PM
-
Progress on Hoover is slow the past couple months,� �it is too cold in the garage . . propane heater not cutting it� . . .� time for a wood stove.
The chimney components arrived today.� :)
To my delight, it is all made in USA!!!!
-
Shop heat sure is nice! Our garage stays at 55� all the time.
-
Shop heat is great keep mine at 51 deg. I put plenty of insulation in the walls and ceiling too. Propane heaters are okay for small areas. Garage Gnome with all the snow you folks have been getting yours is really insulated, like a igloo. :)
-
Constant shop temps in the 50's would be nice!!
Update on my wood heat -> I installed the chimney a couple weeks ago, the day before the coldest day of the year. With the chimney in, I borrowed a small wood stove, and managed to get garage up to 55 degrees. (hard to heat with leaky garage door) Outside temp was 10 degree, with 20-40 mph winds. :o (VERY unusual weather for us) So glad I could keep everything from freezing.
Fast forward to today . . I installed the "permanent" stove. It is homemade from a hot water heater. Made entirely from my scrap pile (free :)). It is still in prototype stage, and needs a few tweaks, but I was happy with results today.
Not too pretty, but it works.
-
The stove on left is the one I borrowed from the "woodshop" side of my garage. Today I did a refurb on it.
An embarrasing story about today. In the morning, I unhooked the borrowed stove from chimney, and moved to center of garage. Then, hooked up the homemade one, and started a fire. It was 15 degree outside, and 30 inside. . . . I was impressed with the heat from homemade stove, but the garage stayed smoky. I even opened the garage door a couple times to clear the air, but it would soon be smoky again. . . I thought that I was going to have to take the homemade stove back to the scrap pile. :(
A few hours later I started doing some repairs on the borrowed stove before moving back "home", only then I realized it still had some warm coals in the ashes . . THAT was the reason for smoky garage, not the new stove. :-[
-
My wife was bugging me a couple of years back about looking at a new house. She said "come look at the pictures of this house" I brushed her off as usual until she said "It has a 1200 sq ft shop with central heat and air" "Do they have any pictures of the shop" was all I said ;D
-
My wife was bugging me a couple of years back about looking at a new house.� She said "come look at the pictures of this house"� I brushed her off as usual until she said "It has a 1200 sq ft shop with central heat and air"� "Do they have any pictures of the shop" was all I said ;D
I know exactly what you mean. Occasionally my wife will propose a house on the market she likes, and I usually respond with "but it does not have a shop/garage"
I have worked in the driveway, (or if lucky -> the carport) for too many years to go backwards. I finally have a shop to work in, and do not want to go backwards. ;D
-
Yea I didnt have a shop at the old house, just the garage. Having a shop is great. I doubt I could ever go back to not having one.