My Willys 3A and 3B Community

Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc. => Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc... => Topic started by: garage gnome on June 12, 2013, 09:43:27 PM

Title: Tightsteer report
Post by: garage gnome on June 12, 2013, 09:43:27 PM
At the Picnic, I won a tightsteer. I put it in my '53 and lets just say, I'll be getting another for my '49.  ;)

It turned my already great driving '53 into a superb driver!
Title: Re: Tightsteer report
Post by: calvinhunt on June 12, 2013, 11:50:11 PM
Hear Hear!� I posted a similar success story last summer when I installed a TightSteer on the 47 CJ-2A I'm keeping for a friend (you've seen that Jeep in some of my posts in past years).
Title: Re: Tightsteer report
Post by: 1955CJ-5 on June 13, 2013, 12:01:26 AM
And another success story! I put one in the 55 CJ-5 and I won't go back...the 51 will probably get one, but first I need to get it put together....
Title: Re: Tightsteer report
Post by: Ryan_M on June 13, 2013, 10:48:10 AM
I bought one before I even had my Jeep back together and it is still sitting on the shelf in my garage. I replaced virtually every component of the steering box during the rebuild. I wanted to make sure I knew what "normal" felt like before installing the Tightsteer so I could tell if it made a difference. I had pretty much forgotten about it but looks like the time has come to install it. Thanks for the reminder Nate!
Title: Re: Tightsteer report
Post by: Carls_jeep on June 25, 2013, 07:36:56 PM
Yes they do a good job. I made three of them, one for me and two for two friends.
Title: Re: Tightsteer report
Post by: Ryan_M on June 25, 2013, 08:03:16 PM
I've driven 100 or so miles now using the TightSteer. Can't say it's really that much of an improvement. I'm sure if it was an old�sloppy steering box it would make a world of difference. Since mine has pretty much all new components it really wasn't worth it...yet. That may change as the internals wear down a bit and I can take up any slack by adjusting the TightSteer.
Title: Re: Tightsteer report
Post by: Carls_jeep on June 26, 2013, 08:52:51 PM
Yes, it would not make much difference on a rebuilt box but it will help to keep even wear on the worm and sector.
Title: Re: Tightsteer report
Post by: Quebec Jeep on July 15, 2013, 11:29:28 AM
Mine is in place now. Hope to test it soon.  :-/ :'( I still have a lot to do before then.

For those who wonder how it's look like:
Title: Re: Tightsteer report
Post by: Tumbleweed on July 15, 2013, 04:43:03 PM
That thing is huge! - ooops - forgot to shrink it down to size. Looks like it is close to the fender - were there any fit issues? I might get one for my 53 wagon.
Thx

Tumbleweed
Title: Re: Tightsteer report
Post by: Ryan_M on July 15, 2013, 08:41:32 PM
After very minimal gains I pulled mine off and installed it on a '46 2A with EXTREMELY sloppy steering. It initially seemed to reduce play from 1/2 turn to rough 1/4 turn. I was about to take it for a test drive (and my first ever drive in that particular Jeep) but the clutch rod broke the first time I stepped on the pedal to put it in gear. New clutch rod on order. Will report back when I have more info.

Admittedly, I do feel a very slight but noticeable difference in the slop in my freshly rebuilt 3A steering box now that the Tightsteer is gone.