My Willys 3A and 3B Community

Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc. => Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc... => Topic started by: Gunslinger on July 29, 2012, 10:08:25 AM

Title: Steering Wheel Puller
Post by: Gunslinger on July 29, 2012, 10:08:25 AM
Guys, I needed top pull my Steering wheel to replace the upper column bearing the other day, and I did not want to break the new wheel.  I talked to Louie Larson and he had a steering wheel puller that he borrowed me.  Great guy by the way.  Anyway here is some pictures of it, I thought anybody could copy it with a little ingenuity and the right sized C clamp.  Carl, maybe you could come up with one to sell?  Anyway here is the pics, its made by Mil Std Company, and it has fittings for multiple sixe wheels, we would only need one for jeeps.
(http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i356/banjo19/023.jpg)
Here is is all assembled on my wheel, it took all of about 10 seconds and my wheel popped off.
(http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i356/banjo19/012.jpg)
Just a big C clamp with a yoke on the bottom, the yoke has several fittings depending on the diameter of the column
(http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i356/banjo19/016.jpg)
These are the yokes
(http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i356/banjo19/016.jpg)
This is the whole set up, three yokes and three column inserts to protect the threads on the column
(http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i356/banjo19/011.jpg)
Here is the box, you can see the name and info on it if you look close.  I don't think it would take much to build one of these, let me know if you succeed, I'm going to try this winter as well
Adios.
Title: Re: Steering Wheel Puller
Post by: Carls_jeep on July 29, 2012, 01:15:33 PM
WOW, that is a cool too. That may be something I could make and sell. Finding a C clamp stout enough to make one out of may be the issue. I'll look around.
Title: Re: Steering Wheel Puller
Post by: F Bill on July 29, 2012, 10:33:39 PM
Looks a lot like a steelworkers weldiong clamp.. but it is angled. Perhaps a ball jpoint press could be adapted, like the ones Harbor fright sells.