My Willys 3A and 3B Community
Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc. => Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc... => Topic started by: VicJ_52CJ3a on January 28, 2012, 09:24:34 AM
-
Hi Guy's
Ive been reading these forums for some time now and really appreciate all the info that you guys share.
I have a 52 cj3a that I have owned since 1990 and Just love it. I have at some point rebuilt about every mechanical thing on it except for the engine. Then wore it out again.
Seeins how it turned 60 years old, I am thinking about trying to give it a paint job myself, in my garage or maybe in the back yard. �I have a lot of questions about the painting and panel patching process. but for now, I thought I would just say hi, and show you some pictures. I know how we all love the pictures.
(http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/52willys/Jeep2.jpg)(http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/52willys/Jeep7.jpg)(http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/52willys/Jeep6.jpg)(http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/52willys/Jeep4.jpg)(http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/52willys/Windshieldframe.jpg)(http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/52willys/Jeep9.jpg)(http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/52willys/Jeep3.jpg)
Thanks, Vic
-
Welcome to the 3A page. You've got a nice project there. The tub looks pretty good for being 60 years old. Most of the old jeeps around here have patches on their patches, and their drain holes are long since covered over. Are you missing the cross over tube for the air cleaner or did the filter rust through on the bottom? I painted my 3B in the backyard last summer and was really happy with the results. (The only problem was bugs) I used a $25 harbor freight HVLP gun which worked great.
Matt
-
Hi Matto
No, I have the crossover tube. I put the K&N filters on there because I didn't have a good way to clean the oil bath filter. It is always a pain in the butt to clean so I changed it to the K&N's.
Vic
-
Hey New Guy, feel free to ask us anything you like, this is a pretty darn good team and we all like to see a 3A come back to life.
I've got a pretty good histroy with those air cleaners, I work for the company that built the originals, yup still in business. I would urge you to work on that air cleaner, its a lot better than the K&N, efficiency and dust holding capacity are a lot better. There is a good link on Bob Westermans page on how they work, and if you search under air cleaner service on this page you should find an original Donaldson Service Bullitin on the Oil Bath.
Good luck with the paint job, and remember, paint won't cover a bad prep job, but a good prep job will make mediocre paint look great.
Todd
-
VicJ, I'm with Todd on the air cleaner. I only clean mine once a year, but it's not used in a very dusty enviorment. Where abouts you from?
Matt
-
Hey Vic.
Welcome. �Your 52 looks like a real saver. �52s are pretty rare.
Looks like a brand new wheel and steering column.�
You have come to the right place for great answers. �The people here have been incredibly helpful to me. �I have said this before. �You can read all the manuals in the world, but the real life experience these folks have is without compare.
For example, �adjusting the lower pins on the front brakes. �No where in any of the manuals does it suggest you bend and grind a wrench to fit into a very snug area. �That's the real life stuff this place will offer.
Tim �
-
Hi Vic,
What is the serial number of your '52 CJ-3A?
Thanks!
-
Hi
Thanks for the input.
My plan is to clean and paint the engine bay and frame along with the body. When I get done I probably will have the original air cleaner going again.
Matto I live in Nixa, MO
Bob the S/N is 52 GB1 32125
-
Thanks Vic. I am assuming that your starter is key activated and not foot pedal activated?
-
Welcome to the site Vic. We used to live near Tin Town and that's near Pleasant Hope North of Springfield. It's beautiful country there and I really enjoyed living there. I can tell that you really use and enjoy your Jeep. A small air compressor and cheap spray gun will do the trick but I think you probably have an air compressor.
Since you have rebuilt it several times over the years I would bet you know every inch of your Jeep.