Posted by: Kirkski
« on: February 06, 2015, 08:23:45 PM »Welcome!
Welcome to our new forum software.
We are now using SMF instead of YaBB.
I think, since this is my first old vehicle project, paying a bit more and getting one that runs and drives or at least looks like it could without too much effort might be the key.That's how I started. I bought my 3B in the dead of winter and drove it home. Didn't have to do any work until I started doing upgrades the next summer.
Honestly, this is where many of us started. I knew nothing about cars, much less an old Willys Jeep
�
It's rough, because that might be a great deal, but it may also be too much to handle or missing key parts that I don't recognize I might need.�
Wow!� I Didn't know anybody was so close to me!� I can't say I've seen anything older than a cj7 on the roads here.� I know where a flat fender is sitting in a barn, at least it was there about 5 years ago, but I heard she wouldn't sell.� If I see her I'll ask.� I think it's been there for a real long time.� Maybe she would want the space or cash now.
The wife comes from the Houston area so I get down to TX every once in a while.� I've thought of picking up something down there and bringing it up.�
I just recently started looking into what nys requires for titles and emissions, etc.� I think pre title vehicles need a transferable registration, but historical vehicles can get some sort of exemption.� I'm not sure what that means though.� I was absolutely shocked to find they only test emissions going back 25 years.� Late 70s air pumps have to be pretty hard to find.
There's something incredibly satisfying about taking something that's old and not running and then bringing it back to a well performing piece of machinery.
My main worry is parts availability....