I appreciate the replies guys. Sorry for the long post above; I was out in the heat all day and fed up.
Hi Doug, I'm sure you know what your doing
We probably shouldn't assume that Percy! LOL You're right, that is way too far out. And, that was with the new carb that I had on there. I put my old carb on and we're right about 1-1/2 turns out from bottom. And making the idle mixture adjustments, it works exactly as you said in your post: back it out to a certain point and there are no more gains.
I'm confused. What, exactly, is the idle RPM right now? What, exactly, is the vacuum reading?
OK, I have my old carb back on there that I put the Zip kit into. As far as I know, I put the whole kit in there, but it's 10-12 years ago. I did not do anything with the throttle shaft, or bushings, or anything like that.
I went back out tonight and with the old carb on there, things seem pretty good - at least a lot better than I've gotten it to run in a long time. However, idle is still way high, and I seem to have a slight miss. Idle is at 1000 - 1100 depending on if you believe my dwell/tach/volt meter (1100) or the tach in the cab (1000). However, vacuum at this point is probably the best I've seen at 20.5 in Hg. If I back the idle stop screw out any more to lower RPM, I really start to lose vacuum and it becomes erratic.