The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: Rus Curtis
« on: July 19, 2022, 09:58:47 AM »

When you are learning and investigating what you have and where you want to go, observing and asking are important tools. 

If converted to 12V, your bulbs would all pop - if not also converted to 12V.  A 6V filament will display a brilliant short life when subjected to too much electricity.  But, to know for the sake of increased knowledge, all bulbs have information printed on the base (or back of bulb, in case of the headlights).  All the switches don't care as their job is to just pass along the available current.  The gas gauge is voltage specific.  All the other gauges (unless swapped with modern alternatives) are all mechanical.

I could guess, but without a picture, I'm only guessing that the resistor is for your coil.  A common addition for 12V conversions.  It throttles the current (through the resistor) for the normal running circuit.  6V systems didn't need the resistor.  An alternative is to purchase a coil with an internal resistor. 

https://cj3b.info/Tech/Ignition.html

I sourced a 12V gen and also just left the 6V starter on. 

There's a good article on changing the system on the 3B Page:

https://cj3b.info/Tech/SixVolt.html
Posted by: Tchara
« on: July 19, 2022, 06:49:07 AM »

Hi all
On my CJ3a, a previous owner converted  the charging system to an alternator. They mounted a resistor on the fire wall, and I'm assuming it's there to knock down the voltage for the gauges and lights. I'm replacing all the gauges and lights to 12V. Should I bypass the resistor? Since the jeep runs and drives, I'm also assuming the coil is 12 volt.
I believe, by the speed of the starter, it probably is the original 6 volt starter. I'm going to use it until it stops, then take it to a rebuild place and have it converted to 12volt.