The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: Rus Curtis
« on: July 07, 2022, 09:49:39 PM »

I understand better now.  For some reason, my eyes were getting dyslexic and I was seeing the seal not the inner wall where it goes.  Good call on getting that smoothed out.

I don't believe the paper seal gasket is necessary.  A light skim of permatex is plenty enough. 

You may also experience leaks along the splines on the shaft.  I've had to add RTV to the ends under the washer after installing the companion flange.
Posted by: Tchara
« on: July 07, 2022, 06:33:48 PM »

Hi
Thanks for all the information. I'll check out that guide you linked to. The gouge is in the wall surface where the seal inserts.
I took it to a machine shop, and they are casting the damage, and resurfacing the seal walls, and pressing the seal in for me. When I ordered the seal, it came with the felt, but no paper gasket. Is it essential to have one?
Posted by: Rus Curtis
« on: July 07, 2022, 12:10:09 PM »

The problem there would be the walls in the cap where the seals go.  Are they gouged too?

The seal has a paper gasket that goes in first.  I've had seals leak and use a light smear against the outer seal surface after its in.  Terminology:  A gash or a gouge?  Are you referring to surface damage on the outer metal body of the seal vs. the rubber seal itself?   

I've reused parts.  Then I've disassembled again to replace because they weren't working.  These seals are cheap.  I'd really strongly suggest replacing since you can see some abuse.  Again, the most concerning would be gouges on the surfaces where the seals are inserted in the caps. The rebuild guide I linked to in your other post suggests a double lipped seal would be better.
Posted by: Tchara
« on: July 06, 2022, 09:10:52 PM »

Hi All!
I posted some questions regarding the installation of the emergency brake. As I was cleaning and inspecting the parts, I noticed a gash in the seal housing. I purchased a seal puller I found watching You Tube. But looks like the last guy used a screwdriver, and gouged the housing. (see pic)
Is this going to cause the seal to leak, or is the gouge far enough forward to not effect it?